Old gold surprise!

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It's been a while since I've been able to post some gold. I went back out to the spot where I've found 7 or 8 silvers, 4 Indians, a number of wheats and the KGII Farthing. Thought I would go a little slower than usual with the small coil this time. Not too many signals over the course of about 90 minutes (did manage a 1917 wheat), so I thought that I might head out and try a different spot. On the way, I got what initially occurred to me as a trash signal- a 4" deep target bouncing from 48 to 50 in all directions. Something told me that I should dig this one- can't explain why- but am I glad that I did! I got the target out of the hole and immediately noticed that it was orangish-gold in color and round. Could it be? A GOLD RING! My first in many months. Knowing that I couldn't possibly top it- I headed straight home. It cleaned up beautifully- stamped 10K with a big ruby- and in an art nouveau style- meaning it has to be at least 120 years old. And the icing on the cake? It fits my wife perfectly! Thanks for looking and happy hunting, all!

Attachments

• image-2708815759.jpg
    image-2708815759.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 230
  • image-1946480941.jpg
    image-1946480941.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 238
  • image-1350061611.jpg
    image-1350061611.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 251
  • image-3772223059.jpg
    image-3772223059.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 232
  • image-2662121507.jpg
    image-2662121507.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 243
  • image-1970032129.jpg
    image-1970032129.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 280
  • image-749586686.jpg
    image-749586686.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 33

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, :dontknow:

Give me a break... :icon_scratch: I'm not doing it to be a Jerk !! I've found many low quality pieces thinking I got the big bucks... :hello2: Only to find out it was fake later, its very disappointing !!! :sadsmiley: I don't know what's worse telling this person that they have a banner find when they likely don't. ??? Later to find out its glass or telling them not to get their hopes up.. OK, so this is how I know... First of all Quality stones are hardly ever set in 10k (low karat gold) 2nd the color is way off for a Ruby, rubies are more brilliant and bright. This is dull and set in 10k. I have two things telling me that its not a genuine ruby... Now you guys tell him he's a rich man and let him buy a plane ticket to Jamaica now and he's likely going to find out its glass !! I'm trying to avoid the disappointment I got when I found my fake stones... So you tell me what's worse ?? :occasion14: If I'm wrong oh well, he'll be happy to find such a nice stone. :headbang: If I'm right he won't be disappointed later by a bunch of people who don't know what they are talking ABOUT ! :BangHead:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Tell me what ones glass and what ones real ??
I agree' if someone has knowledge on something they should share it.Good news or bad news, it is not gonna change what it actually is.But it is a fantastic find even if it is a glass stone.I always figured that if something is gold,more then likely the stone that is set would probably be some kind of gemstone,you can see how much I know about old jewelry.But I would think a big 'old' ring like that would be just as rare as finding a gold coin,not something that would be easily lost. imop.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an awesome find !! :thumbsup: Its vintage gold and in wearable condition, :headbang:so its worth more than scrap. 8-) Its just not going to retire the finder like everyone makes it look.... :dontknow: and I'm the badguy..?? :icon_scratch:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an awesome find !! :thumbsup: Its vintage gold and in wearable condition, :headbang:so its worth more than scrap. 8-) Its just not going to retire the finder like everyone makes it look.... :dontknow: and I'm the badguy..?? :icon_scratch:

Nawww! Heck no! YOU? The bad guy?? This is something that could never be! I've seen your posts, you just have the other person's welfare in mind.

But, if I may, might I suggest that nobody was saying it's a ruby, go buy a house. To say it is, would be about the same as saying it isn't.

Just, speaking one's opinion is fine and expected! Otherwise, why share here?
But to preface with "hate to be the bearer of bad news" smacks of absolute knowledge, not opinion.

Please go on being the MUD(S.W.A.T.) we've come to know and love. :)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is a different individual.How boring would it be if we where not!That's another thing I like about this site, is to learn.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, I did make it seem like it was absolute when its not... :dontknow: It could very well be a real ruby and for the finders sake I hope it is. :thumbsup: For that I'm sorry, I made a mistake. ??? However on my defence, it sure seemed like everyone was saying its guaranteed a real ruby and the finder should buy a new Bugatti. :thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice, Love those old rings. They sure knew how to make them back then .. Beautiful Catch!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mud , I never for a moment thought the stone was a ruby -( and I absolutely don't believe it's glass !) I think chances are good that it's
a Spinel -you didn't even consider the possibility that it might be a natural stone other than ruby , Really ?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, never thought of another natural stone. :icon_scratch: Another amateur mistake on my part, :dontknow: I assumed it was glass cause it was set in 10k... :BangHead:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, never thought of another natural stone. :icon_scratch: Another amateur mistake on my part, :dontknow: I assumed it was glass cause it was set in 10k... :BangHead:

As far as 10kt being the gold, a jeweler once told me that they might use 10kt for it's strength. The softer grades might tend to not hold a setting quite as well.
I don't know this as a fact but he seemed to know his trade and it seems logical. :dontknow:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its true they do use lower karat gold for strength but 14k gold is plenty strong for nice gems. That's part of the reason nice stones are set in 14k. You can find real diamonds set in silver from the 1800's easy. It was common back then but sometime between they switched the rules. It became uncommon to set precious stones in silver or anything lower than 14k. Its changing a little now more and people are setting more and more diamonds in silver. However from the time the ring was made it likely would not use a real stone. If the ring was 120 years old made in 1894 then that's before the marking act and it would likely not be marked 10k.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly don't claim to be an expert (or GIA certified for that matter ) but I do know that Spinel was used as a relatively affordable
substitute for Ruby in rings from the 1930's - 60's . The ring in question likely dates to the thirties , and I agree that a precious
stone would most likely not be set in 10K - That's why I think Spinel is a good candidate here - it looks a lot like Ruby , and it is
hard enough to withstand the beating that ring stones take (7.5 -8 on Moh's scale ) -glass is not a good choice for rings .
Clearly the test results may prove glass -( or something else altogether) - My opinions are no more than that .

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
All I can say is remember this ring find of mine? 10k setting with a brilliant Amethyst. Stone is what brought the value so you just never know 100% till you get it checked by a professional.

ForumRunner_20141119_131032.png

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I should have news tomorrow. Real or not it's a beauty and I'm having it fixed and cleaned. Thanks for all the responses- and I appreciate everyone's opinions on what it is.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have news tomorrow. Real or not it's a beauty and I'm having it fixed and cleaned. Thanks for all the responses- and I appreciate everyone's opinions on what it is.
Great attitude bud. All that matters is that it's a very cool find and we would all be happy to find that. It's either a GREAT find or a damn good find

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the popcorn out sitting around waiting for the "News" on this lovely ring ! =) Even if its a cheap gem, finding anything gold is always hard to do ! Finding a ring with a nice looking stone is always a win times win in my book !! I'd would have a hard time passing this one on to my wife (if I had one) I think especially if the ring is like man sized at all, guess I will have to keep on dreaming about that here, honking big gold is very rare !!

P.S. Hey Mi$terG just in case you didn't see my old gold ring =) heres a link:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/430594-step-right-up-three-ring-circus.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
UPDATE: Picked up the ring today from my jeweler. He says that it is a real ruby- but that it's synthetic- man-made and probably from the 1930's. It's fixed and cleaned and is looking beautiful. Thanks all for looking in and posting.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, glad you found out. 8-) Do us a favor and post pictures of the cleaned ring ? :notworthy:

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thanks, MUD. Here are some photos post repairs and cleaning (on my better half's hand!).

Attachments

• image-3481882028.jpg
    image-3481882028.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1877346250.jpg
    image-1877346250.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1364363582.jpg
    image-1364363582.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 58

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very beautiful - nice to know it is Ruby - even if it is "lab grown" it is composed of the same material (corundum) as
a natural Ruby .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread