IRON WARS...The Evolution of a Battle!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've engaged Patriot and Iron Patch in battle...Iron Patch is a reluctant combatant but Patriot is all in and battle hardened! I went back to a site I've been hunting for years and have found many cannonballs, bar shot and massive mortar fragments. I knew that today I would have to leave the field and hunt the adjoining wooded area which is what I did.

20 minutes into the hunt I get the tone that I immediately recognize as deep, dense iron...this picture shows the spot!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416833659.152905.jpg

After 10 minutes of digging in a dirty muddy mess I reach into the hole...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416833696.466954.jpg

...and feel the unmistakable roundness of a large bore cannonball! After pulling it from the sucking mud I am rewarded with this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416833851.377816.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416833868.377365.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416833881.963514.jpg

I think it's an 18 pounder but could be bigger! No matter how many of these I dig I am always so happy to pull them from the ground! Day is still early so off to find some epic silver!!!

Upvote 5

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I'd be happy to take one of those bigboys!

I'd be game to stay in if it was a level playing field, but we all know it is not! I mostly started the challenge because it was quite a freak thing digging a ball and trade axe in back to back weeks.... but I'm sure it will never happen again. you must be past my cannon ball total, and have done in in half the time.... and 3 of mine are from over there. The epic silver is what I'll be on the hunt for.... hopefully coming in the form of a plated cross belt plate! :headbang: 104th are silver plate, so I'd take one of those. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After lugging it to the car I'm pretty sure it's a 24 pounder...

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
If push comes to shove and shove turns into war, you got enough ammo to keep a battle raging!

I think I'd just be happy to see one of those big guys; carrying it through the woods back to the car would make ya think about that! lol

Good going!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you've got big balls! Welcome to the IRON WARS...just hope I can get out again to have another chance at some iron or any finds for that matter...How deep was that?

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you've got big balls! Welcome to the IRON WARS...just hope I can get out again to have another chance at some iron or any finds for that matter...How deep was that?

Not too deep...maybe 12 inches.

After weighing it it comes in at 26 pounds so after getting the mud and crust off it will come down to 24 pounds...happy with that...my first 24 pounder!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Buddy, that's going to turn out nice.
ZDD

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell that this is going to be a nice and smooth ball under the crust...hoping it will be marked with a French Fleur de Lys...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell that this is going to be a nice and smooth ball under the crust...hoping it will be marked with a French Fleur de Lys...

Being a different weight I think if anything it has to improve your chances.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Man that would be cool to find a cannon ball. Have you ever found a cannon? That would look awsome in the yard with a cannon ball stack next to it.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that would be cool to find a cannon ball. Have you ever found a cannon? That would look awsome in the yard with a cannon ball stack next to it.

No cannons...yet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread