Apr 16, 2013
Tasmania
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold2.jpg

gold1.jpg

I found this near a sporting ground, it looks to me like half a bow (perhaps a hat pin?) I've tried it next to a magnet and it doesn't take, but it is really tarnished...this is after quite a bit of cleaning. It rang up gold/bronze/pull tabs hehe

it's not very heavy for its size.

any ideas?

thanks!
Allison

Upvote 1

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I found some silver plated brass that did my box in identification wise.I dropped it in a well of sodium bicarbonate and aluminium foil,then added some citric acid.After some time.Overnight.The bicarb took on pink/purple tones.This told me that it was not gold.Hope this is useful. Good digging to you

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the photo, I don't see gold color, it looks like silver. The narrow, twisted cable form might account for the gold/tab range signal. I would test it with silver test acid, or try tarn-x; if it cleans up bright and white with the tarn-x that would also show its silver. To just clean it, the black tarnish could be removed with fine (000, or 0000) steel wool.

If it is gold colored, then I'd go with my last suggestion. If it's plated, you 'll see that pretty quickly as you scrub it with the steel wool.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread