Absolutely Stunning Semi Key Indian

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at my 1831 farm site. After working this property pretty hard over the last two years I was amazed to pull this little beauty. The cherry picking is finished, in TTF with the E-trac moving very slow, I was able to sort this out of the heavily iron infested signals. It was actually about 15 feet away from the 1/2 Reale I found two days earlier and I know I have passed over/missed them both several times. Many times I have left the farm discouraged with nothing, thinking it's hunted out, then on consecutive trips I find the Reale and this little beauty. When door knocking fails, I always have plan B and now I'm convinced it's not hunted out, just very slim pickins.
Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• photo (18).JPG
    photo (18).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 277
  • photo (17).JPG
    photo (17).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 40

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like it came out of a PCGS encapsulation, not the ground! Congrats on an amazing find!

-- Jeff --

HomesteadHound

Oct 14, 2014
PNW
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Silver uMax, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is a pretty coin. Nice find!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a really a beautiful looking copper, congrats on the find.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is just spectacular in all respects. I'm as green as the patina, but not nearly as purty!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Schweet digg

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice one dude. It's worth between $50 and $200 bucks. ($200 dollars to be literal--taking into consideration the Geico 1 million bucks commercial :laughing7:) But that is so nice, and has such a nice patina, and almost no flaws, that I would keep it and put it on display.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still awaiting my first Indian Head cent (after 10 years detecting ) but If I found that beauty , I might frame it and hang it on the wall !

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GReeN patina adds to the appeal !

Yes indeed ,

eye candy ++

CMD
dawg

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still awaiting my first Indian Head cent (after 10 years detecting ) but If I found that beauty , I might frame it and hang it on the wall !

Hey Argentium, I can't grasp 10 years of hunting without finding an Indian. Surely they were circulated and carried throughout the Southwest. That's just so strange. My very first non-clad find was an 1895 Indian, and I was hooked on this hobby. Keep swinging that coil and here's hoping for an Indian in your near future!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Indians, yours is a really great save. I'm jelly, ha lol.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it took Ironpatch at least that long to finally get a mercury dime , I know I'll get an IH before long . The ironic thing is
that I may well have had my coil over an IH, and been too lazy to dig it because it appeared as zinc to my detector ! I tend
to not always dig every zinc penny - (I've heard it said that IH's can put up a signal that looks like Zincolns)

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it took Ironpatch at least that long to finally get a mercury dime , I know I'll get an IH before long . The ironic thing is
that I may well have had my coil over an IH, and been too lazy to dig it because it appeared as zinc to my detector ! I tend
to not always dig every zinc penny - (I've heard it said that IH's can put up a signal that looks like Zincolns)

They do ring up like Zincolns on the E-trac, I don't know about other detectors. Depends on where I'm hunting whether or not I dig. City parks, shallow I usually pass, if they're deeper I dig. Old farm houses I always dig shallow or deep. A lot of times on the e-trac they will come in at 01-30/31 and that is usually a dead giveaway that it's not a zincoln.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do ring up like Zincolns on the E-trac, I don't know about other detectors. Depends on where I'm hunting whether or not I dig. City parks, shallow I usually pass, if they're deeper I dig. Old farm houses I always dig shallow or deep. A lot of times on the e-trac they will come in at 01-30/31 and that is usually a dead giveaway that it's not a zincoln.
Lots of good finds can ring up in that range. I've found several indian heads in that range. Also buttons can come up in that range. My 2 1600s coins were right in that range as well. Dig em all friends

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread