Found a Junior North Scituate, RI Fire Department Badge! How Old?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this neat badge today metal detecting, but I'm not sure how old it is. It's a Junior Fire Dept. badge from my town of North Scituate, Rhode Island. It measures 2" tall and it might be aluminum. It's kind of heavy for aluminum, though.

I checked the patent number on the back and it was patented in 1943. That doesn't tell me much, but it does narrow it down to the last 70 years. Any guesses as to when it was issued would be appreciated.

fire badge front.JPG fire badge back.JPG

Upvote 3

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet badge! Not aluminum though, that baby was silver plated. Nice find!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi FreeBirdTim, Your badge has what is referred to in the hobby as a "bar pin," and as you learned, was used by nearly every badge company from the 1940's- 1970's. Your fire department may have information as to when "Junior" firefighters were employed by their department. Yours is not a toy "give away" badge, it was expensive to make and most likely for a department employee. It is amazing to find any kind of badge, so congratulations! Sub 8-)

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat piece there…sliver plated--may be brass underneath

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! It does appear to be silver plated. Shined up pretty good with silver polish. It rang up as a dime and I think that's what brass comes up as with my Ace 250. I'll have to do some research to try and figure out when we had junior firefighters around here. Thanks again for all the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread