1920 S Wheatie & Park Finds

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
1920 S Wheatie & Park Finds

I went for the first time to a small local park and found this 1920 S Wheatie. Amazing condition..especially compared to the other 15 pennies I found.. 1960-2001. Also found one dime.. 1990. Some of the snow has melted so I worked around areas in the play area that was clear. It sure was nice to dig in sand instead of mud! Found one toy car in pieces and one hot wheels car (1977). One old set of keys and one fork under the infant swings. I found a penny on the first swing..so I knew there was bound to be more. I can't wait to go back tomorrow and see what else I can find around the slide and the other swings! I know I'll find a lot of foil around the picnic area..but it still has snow anyway..so I'll work the playground first. There are some trees that the kids climb, a basketball court and benches..so I'll work that park for a while. :D

Attachments

• 1920Sup.JPG
    1920Sup.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 1920Sbackup.JPG
    1920Sbackup.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 263
  • miscSundayup.JPG
    miscSundayup.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: 1920 S Wheatie & Park Finds

I don't know if you realize it or not,, but that maybe a high dollar coin.? ;D
Take a look on this site:http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=lincoln_cent
Scroll down about half way for the 1920s
Not sure if the prices are up to date or not,,, but that coin could be worth some pretty $$$
Great Find!

P.S.> I almost forgot,,, I'm not sure how you can tell which design you have. looks like ther are 3 different ones.
? ? ? ? ?also, I couldn't tell ya what kind of condition it's in either, but it looks like it would grade pretty high...

? ? ? ? I had to modify this one again ;D
? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ms-65
? ? ? ?2530 1920-S? RD? - - - 130 250 2000 25000 - - -
If the coin grades at MS-65 & is a RD design, that's $25,000.00
It's not even my penny, and I'm excited. ;D
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

That would be totally awesome to find out it was worth that much! I could get me a very nice metal detector with that, wouldn't you think? ;D What would be the first steps to take to find out it's actual worth? The closest big city to me is Reno, Nevada.. I live in northeastern California in a very small town.
Thanks for being happy with me..whatever it's worth it's exciting to think about the possibilities!

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I looked on that website you gave me and it's says that RD refers to the color as being RD
RB is red-brown and BN is brown.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

Congrats that really is a nice wheat, hopefully the rest of your snow will be gone soon. Keep hunting around those picnic tables especially if they are close to the play areas Bobbie found a nice diamond ring under one back in decmeber
hh

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Thanks Dave I will! There are 5 parks in our small town..and one of them is by a river with a swimming beach...I will be busy! :D I can't get to most of them right now because of the snow..but will work them as soon as I can.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Thats great!,,,
I've never looked at the guide to using the page, one of my downfalls... ( Not reading Instructions )
Considering that, I would say yours is either the RB or the BN,,, either way,, looks like youv'e found a great coin...
As, for what you could do to find out, I'm not sure. I've read somewhere on this forum, you could send them into some place and have them graded. Maybe someone else on the forum can help...
Good luck...

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

The park where I found it, is from around 1970. I found 16 pennies yesterday... so kids must be bringing them to the park. The wheatie almost jumped out of the ground... it was only about 2" down!
All were found around the monkey bars. Anybody have a guess as to what color this wheatie is? Red, Red/Brown or Brown? Trying to get an idea about it's worth. From the ones I looked at on ebay..this one looks red/brown to me...but I'm sure no expert!
All the other parks in town are very old.. so I'm really anxious to detect those! One is by an old fort.. I can't detect by the fort of course..but have permission to detect by the stream that runs down the hill from the fort and also the park. There is a museum by the fort that is full of items that I'm sure was dug or detected at the site..but who knows..there still might be some goodies around there somewhere. I will be checking in the next few days to see how much snow is still there. (There is more snow in town than there is out here.. I live 8 miles out of town..out in the country. Today it is raining! But if it stops later in the day.. I'll be out there hunting in the park where I found the wheatie!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

I would guess R/B. Let's hope those kids got into more of the collection. Then it's Hawaii here we come. ;)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Congrats to you TL. Nice Lincoln you have there. It's great that you made it out again even with the snow around. It's even better that you found some GOOD SUFF. Keep it up. Spotz

S

SASQUASH

YOU said sumthing about that you can hunt along the river down from the fort that is where I would go that had to be one of the main hangouts back then not to Menshen the relics wow the relics they are there I know it. My fer is standing up on my back & when that happens there is always TREASHER. Keep it up you are doing it right. SASQUASH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions