Colonial Site Yields Over THREE OUNCES OF SILVER!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: See Shanegalang's post in reply #58! He is going to use the silver to make rings for him and his wife. Fantastic idea--can't wait to see and hope you'll post a photo of the finished product, Shane!

Hello All,

Went on one final dig with BuckleDad before he left town and dug a really worn and blackened 1875 Seated Dime. That is right at the beginning of the video below as a catch-up.

But the real achievement was this last hunt with Shanegalang. We met up to rehunt the early site we'd discovered last hunt (gave a half real and a pristine 1838 Seated Dime plus many buttons and clay pipe stems). We got to work. A couple of flat buttons showed. Then a couple more pipe stems. Then I hear AAAAAAAIIIIIIYYYYYYEEEEEEE! and I see Shanegalang holding a silver. He had broken his silver drought with a half real. 1803.

HR in hand.JPG HR 1803.jpg HR 1803 Rev.jpg

We kept on digging, and I got a couple tombac buttons. There were globs of melted brass and copper everywhere, which led us to suspect that the house that was once there had burned (the burning off of the cane fields every fall doesn't create that type of heat). These melted globs rang up high, so there were many false alarms with us thinking we had found coins. There was also melted lead everywhere. Lead is common in CW era and later sites, as many cast their own bullets. But the early sites down here have an abundance of lead, leading me to think it was used in ship building, etc.

Here is some of the bigger pieces of melted brass that I dug. Shane had a big pocket full of it too.

melted brass.JPG

Well...of course Shane got a high tone of 87/88 and dug a giant blob of melted SILVER from this site!! 8-) Weighs just over 2.6 ounces.

melted silver.jpg

I've seen a lot of melted aluminum before, and this isn't it. Non-malleable. Shone like silver (a little more dull in color than chrome or aluminum). And it's heavy. Rings up like a silver dollar.

I hunted a couple more rows and got a nice zinc signal to dig a BEAUTIFUL 1840-O Seated Half Dime (no drapery). :headbang:

1840 HD in dirt.JPG 1840 HD in dirt1.JPG

More blobs of melted brass and lead later and I spied a colonial era shoe buckle piece laying on top of the ground. Then got the neck of a spur.

Then it got real quiet and we dig a couple rows without fining anything. Shanegalang decided to head home. He had marked the next row he was gonna do by sticking the shovel in the ground. We said bye and I decided to come back up his row. Ten steps into the row I got an 83 reading on the F75! In the clod I saw something that I have never seen in 22 years:

barber quarter in dirt.JPG

It was my first ever BARBER QUARTER. I've dug Seateds, Capped Coins, all types of newer silver coins, and plenty of Barber Dimes and even one Barber Half and a Morgan Dollar. But up until today I had never dug a Barber Quarter. This one was a beauty. Farmer Dropped in the cane field not long after it was minted. 1893-S!

:thumbsup:

I kept going and probably 15 feet later I got an iffy signal in the side of a row. Down deep it was a plow-struck 1838 Seated Half Dime!!

I finished up the row and decided that it was a good time to call it a day. I took this photo of some of the finds:

finds in hand.JPG

Photos like that make me wanna dig!!

When I got home I cleaned the finds and used my silver cleaning method on the silver coins. That method is described in this post, and it is the absolute best way that I've ever found to clean blackened or tarnished dug silver coins:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/442189-how-clean-blackened-silver-coins.html

I'll let you be the judge of this cleaning method as I close with photos of each coin I dug front and back. "Before" photos are on the left.
After" photos on the right.

1875 Seated Dime from the hunt with BuckleDad:

HPIM4900.JPG HPIM4902.JPG

HPIM4901.JPG HPIM4903.JPG

1840-O Half Dime, No Drapery:

1840 HD obv before.JPG 1840 HD obv after.JPG

1840 HD rev before.JPG 1840 HD rev after.JPG

1838 Half Dime:

1838 HD obv before.JPG 1838 HD obv after.JPG

1838 HD rev before.JPG 1838 HD rev after.JPG

And the 1893-S Barber Quarter:

barber obv before.JPG barber obv after.JPG

barber rev before.JPG barber rev after.JPG

Here is a group shot of both of our finds:

all finds shang.jpg all finds mine.JPG

BIG Congrats to Shanegalang for breaking his silver drought. Congrats on Half Real #10 for the year. Let's see if we can make 12! Can't wait to dig again!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 36

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went on one final dig with BuckleDad before he left town and dug a really worn and blackened 1875 Seated Dime. That is right at the beginning of the video below as a catch-up.

But the real achievement was this last hunt with Shanegalang. We met up to rehunt the early site we'd discovered last hunt (gave a half real and a pristine 1838 Seated Dime plus many buttons and clay pipe stems). We got to work. A couple of flat buttons showed. Then a couple more pipe stems. Then I hear AAAAAAAIIIIIIYYYYYYEEEEEEE! and I see Shanegalang holding a silver. He had broken his silver drought with a half real. 1803.

View attachment 1092044 View attachment 1092063 View attachment 1092065

We kept on digging, and I got a couple tombac buttons. There were globs of melted brass and copper everywhere, which led us to suspect that the house that was once there had burned (the burning off of the cane fields every fall doesn't create that type of heat). These melted globs rang up high, so there were many false alarms with us thinking we had found coins. There was also melted lead everywhere. Lead is common in CW era and later sites, as many cast their own bullets. But the early sites down here have an abundance of lead, leading me to think it was used in ship building, etc.

Here is some of the bigger pieces of melted brass that I dug. Shane had a big pocket full of it too.

View attachment 1092046

Well...of course Shane got a high tone of 87/88 and dug a giant blob of melted SILVER from this site!! 8-) Weighs just over 2.6 ounces.

View attachment 1092047

I've seen a lot of melted aluminum before, and this isn't it. Non-malleable. Shone like silver (a little more dull in color than chrome or aluminum). And it's heavy. Rings up like a silver dollar.

I hunted a couple more rows and got a nice zinc signal to dig a BEAUTIFUL 1840-O Seated Half Dime (no drapery). :headbang:

View attachment 1092048 View attachment 1092049

More blobs of melted brass and lead later and I spied a colonial era shoe buckle piece laying on top of the ground. Then got the neck of a spur.

Then it got real quiet and we dig a couple rows without fining anything. Shanegalang decided to head home. He had marked the next row he was gonna do by sticking the shovel in the ground. We said bye and I decided to come back up his row. Ten steps into the row I got an 83 reading on the F75! In the clod I saw something that I have never seen in 22 years:

View attachment 1092098

It was my first ever BARBER QUARTER. I've dug Seateds, Capped Coins, all types of newer silver coins, and plenty of Barber Dimes and even one Barber Half and a Morgan Dollar. But up until today I had never dug a Barber Quarter. This one was a beauty. Farmer Dropped in the cane field not long after it was minted. 1893-S!

:thumbsup:

I kept going and probably 15 feet later I got an iffy signal in the side of a row. Down deep it was a plow-struck 1838 Seated Half Dime!!

I finished up the row and decided that it was a good time to call it a day. I took this photo of some of the finds:

View attachment 1092055

Photos like that make me wanna dig!!

When I got home I cleaned the finds and used my silver cleaning method on the silver coins. That method is described in this post, and it is the absolute best way that I've ever found to clean blackened or tarnished dug silver coins:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/442189-how-clean-blackened-silver-coins.html

I'll let you be the judge of this cleaning method as I close with photos of each coin I dug front and back. "Before" photos are on the left.
After" photos on the right.

1875 Seated Dime from the hunt with BuckleDad:

View attachment 1092084 View attachment 1092085

View attachment 1092086 View attachment 1092087

1840-O Half Dime, No Drapery:

View attachment 1092069 View attachment 1092070

View attachment 1092072 View attachment 1092074

1838 Half Dime:

View attachment 1092078 View attachment 1092081

View attachment 1092082 View attachment 1092083

And the 1893-S Barber Quarter:

View attachment 1092088 View attachment 1092089

View attachment 1092090 View attachment 1092091

Here is a group shot of both of our finds:

View attachment 1092092 View attachment 1092093

BIG Congrats to Shanegalang for breaking his silver drought. Congrats on Half Real #10 for the year. Let's see if we can make 12! Can't wait to dig again!

Best Wishes,

Buck

View attachment 1092094

The CaneField Bandits

AWESOME SITE & COIN /RELIC FINDS.

FINALLY!! A Barber Quarter. Good thing your buddy went home or else it might be his..
Hence -Never Give Up on a site unless you have to.
Davers

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
Beautiful, and congratulations. I've hunted a lot of cane fields here on Maui. I find a lot of old stuff and old coins (well, back to the 20's, so far, plus one 1902 V nickel) near the water canals, places where you'd guess the crews took a lunch break or whatever.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME SITE & COIN /RELIC FINDS.

FINALLY!! A Barber Quarter. Good thing your buddy went home or else it might be his..
Hence -Never Give Up on a site unless you have to.
Davers

Yeah, it's hard for me to give up. I get sad when it starts to get dark, because I want to keep going. No matter how many hours it's been in the field. Hard for me to ever turn the detector off and go home...

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful, and congratulations. I've hunted a lot of cane fields here on Maui. I find a lot of old stuff and old coins (well, back to the 20's, so far, plus one 1902 V nickel) near the water canals, places where you'd guess the crews took a lunch break or whatever.

Hi, Ranger! Do you find many of the early Hawaii coins? The 1800s coins from the islands really fascinate me. Due to geographical isolation, that would be the only place in the world where one might be lucky enough to dig them.

Would love to know what other kinds of coins might have circulated on the islands back then.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's hard for me to give up. I get sad when it starts to get dark, because I want to keep going. No matter how many hours it's been in the field. Hard for me to ever turn the detector off and go home...

I DEF, Know the Feeling.
Just hope your new Bride Understands More than mine.
I'm pretty sure it was You that just Got Married but as I only have Few Brain cells left 'Can not recall if she detects or not Hope She does.'
HH
Davers

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hello Buckleboy, yes I agree electrolysis is the best way to clean silver coins (as long as the silver is not debased). My cleaner is an adapted mobile phone charger, does a great job very quickly.:thumbsup:

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It definetly is weird how things seem to come in strings.. waiting 22 years for something really puts me in my place... patience, patience..
I don't know if I can stand it !! Great video, fun to watch and all the finds seem pretty spectacular to me. Congrats on finally getting the Barber.. beautiful shape. Seateds too. WOW!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I DEF, Know the Feeling.
Just hope your new Bride Understands More than mine.
I'm pretty sure it was You that just Got Married but as I only have Few Brain cells left 'Can not recall if she detects or not Hope She does.'
HH
Davers

My new bride understands perfectly well, because she digs too. :) The only reason she wouldn't be happy is if she were jealous cause she couldn't go with!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Buckleboy, yes I agree electrolysis is the best way to clean silver coins (as long as the silver is not debased). My cleaner is an adapted mobile phone charger, does a great job very quickly.:thumbsup:

This is not strictly electrolysis, but rather it is an electrochemical reaction. Electrolysis would remove tarnish and (if you left it going), eventually good silver. This reaction stops when there is no more tarnish to remove.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: Shanegalang just had the lump of melted shiny metal tested and it is most certainly silver! :thumbsup:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! CONGRATS on your recent finds and thanks for sharing!! Hope you and your Dad had a Great Time!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another awesome post! You have had another great year Buck! I wish you well for just as a successful year for 2015. Merry Christmas my friend!!

IM

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another awesome post! You have had another great year Buck! I wish you well for just as a successful year for 2015. Merry Christmas my friend!!

IM

Merry Christmas to you too! We aren't done digging yet, but the time is winding down. Would like to get a couple more hunts in. I really enjoy making the year end posts every time. Am looking forward to doing that in January.

-Buck

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new bride understands perfectly well, because she digs too. :) The only reason she wouldn't be happy is if she were jealous cause she couldn't go with!

Very,Ultra & Super Cool...

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on all the neat finds. I love all the old coins. It's always a thrill to see silver come out of the ground.
Dman

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
The silver is 92 or better, 74.2 grams. I dropped it off at La Gold & Silver yesterday and had a second acid/scratch test done and left instructions with their jewelry maker to make me and my wife each rings. I am very excited! I will post pictures when the rings are complete. This was the hunt I needed to fire me up again and cant wait to get back out! The coin was exciting but this "whale" of a chunk of silver is what really has me stoked! See ya soon buddy! And congrats on all the coins you got as well :) Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_2657.JPG
    IMG_2657.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 52

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was some great digging! You're finishing the year strong! Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread