Colonial Site Yields Over THREE OUNCES OF SILVER!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: See Shanegalang's post in reply #58! He is going to use the silver to make rings for him and his wife. Fantastic idea--can't wait to see and hope you'll post a photo of the finished product, Shane!

Hello All,

Went on one final dig with BuckleDad before he left town and dug a really worn and blackened 1875 Seated Dime. That is right at the beginning of the video below as a catch-up.

But the real achievement was this last hunt with Shanegalang. We met up to rehunt the early site we'd discovered last hunt (gave a half real and a pristine 1838 Seated Dime plus many buttons and clay pipe stems). We got to work. A couple of flat buttons showed. Then a couple more pipe stems. Then I hear AAAAAAAIIIIIIYYYYYYEEEEEEE! and I see Shanegalang holding a silver. He had broken his silver drought with a half real. 1803.

HR in hand.JPG HR 1803.jpg HR 1803 Rev.jpg

We kept on digging, and I got a couple tombac buttons. There were globs of melted brass and copper everywhere, which led us to suspect that the house that was once there had burned (the burning off of the cane fields every fall doesn't create that type of heat). These melted globs rang up high, so there were many false alarms with us thinking we had found coins. There was also melted lead everywhere. Lead is common in CW era and later sites, as many cast their own bullets. But the early sites down here have an abundance of lead, leading me to think it was used in ship building, etc.

Here is some of the bigger pieces of melted brass that I dug. Shane had a big pocket full of it too.

melted brass.JPG

Well...of course Shane got a high tone of 87/88 and dug a giant blob of melted SILVER from this site!! 8-) Weighs just over 2.6 ounces.

melted silver.jpg

I've seen a lot of melted aluminum before, and this isn't it. Non-malleable. Shone like silver (a little more dull in color than chrome or aluminum). And it's heavy. Rings up like a silver dollar.

I hunted a couple more rows and got a nice zinc signal to dig a BEAUTIFUL 1840-O Seated Half Dime (no drapery). :headbang:

1840 HD in dirt.JPG 1840 HD in dirt1.JPG

More blobs of melted brass and lead later and I spied a colonial era shoe buckle piece laying on top of the ground. Then got the neck of a spur.

Then it got real quiet and we dig a couple rows without fining anything. Shanegalang decided to head home. He had marked the next row he was gonna do by sticking the shovel in the ground. We said bye and I decided to come back up his row. Ten steps into the row I got an 83 reading on the F75! In the clod I saw something that I have never seen in 22 years:

barber quarter in dirt.JPG

It was my first ever BARBER QUARTER. I've dug Seateds, Capped Coins, all types of newer silver coins, and plenty of Barber Dimes and even one Barber Half and a Morgan Dollar. But up until today I had never dug a Barber Quarter. This one was a beauty. Farmer Dropped in the cane field not long after it was minted. 1893-S!

:thumbsup:

I kept going and probably 15 feet later I got an iffy signal in the side of a row. Down deep it was a plow-struck 1838 Seated Half Dime!!

I finished up the row and decided that it was a good time to call it a day. I took this photo of some of the finds:

finds in hand.JPG

Photos like that make me wanna dig!!

When I got home I cleaned the finds and used my silver cleaning method on the silver coins. That method is described in this post, and it is the absolute best way that I've ever found to clean blackened or tarnished dug silver coins:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/442189-how-clean-blackened-silver-coins.html

I'll let you be the judge of this cleaning method as I close with photos of each coin I dug front and back. "Before" photos are on the left.
After" photos on the right.

1875 Seated Dime from the hunt with BuckleDad:

HPIM4900.JPG HPIM4902.JPG

HPIM4901.JPG HPIM4903.JPG

1840-O Half Dime, No Drapery:

1840 HD obv before.JPG 1840 HD obv after.JPG

1840 HD rev before.JPG 1840 HD rev after.JPG

1838 Half Dime:

1838 HD obv before.JPG 1838 HD obv after.JPG

1838 HD rev before.JPG 1838 HD rev after.JPG

And the 1893-S Barber Quarter:

barber obv before.JPG barber obv after.JPG

barber rev before.JPG barber rev after.JPG

Here is a group shot of both of our finds:

all finds shang.jpg all finds mine.JPG

BIG Congrats to Shanegalang for breaking his silver drought. Congrats on Half Real #10 for the year. Let's see if we can make 12! Can't wait to dig again!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 36

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt and on the quarter!! My dad was never into detecting but my mom and son likes it. It's always fun to hunt with them. Hope you get some more Spanish silver. HH!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and post again! The half reale is showing the scars of a long time in the ground! Congrats!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Buck..
And congrats on the quarter..
I know you have lots of older stuff but its nice when you get ur first...
I was stoked when i found my first war nickle..lol..
George

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa a momentous occasion Buck :-). Congrats on slaying that barber quarter my friend. Always a nice feeling to check one off the list whether it's rare or not cause it's rare to you. That hunk if silver is very interesting indeed

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa a momentous occasion Buck :-). Congrats on slaying that barber quarter my friend. Always a nice feeling to check one off the list whether it's rare or not cause it's rare to you. That hunk if silver is very interesting indeed

totally right. I felt that way when I dug my first seated half. the first one is always memorable. Now on to the next thing on the list. :)

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a pile of silver there…only ever pulled out small blobs of melted silver at colonial sites…good score on the buttons and coins!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a pile of silver there…only ever pulled out small blobs of melted silver at colonial sites…good score on the buttons and coins!!

Do you think that the small blobs were melted coins?

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That I always wondered about…I know the area where I found them came out cobs so maybe a little counterfeiting going on…likely something I'll never know but they weren't...

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it was a candlestick or similar.

I thought perhaps a candlestick, but blowing up the picture shows a pattern that looks like cloth on one end. Makes me wonder if it was a small bag of coins

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great silver finds Buck and as always I really enjoyed your post! :occasion14:
I've got a 1918 Silver Quarter soaking in your 'formula' right now... I'll post before and after pics on your other thread if you're interested.

Dave

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will be hard to beat that hunt. Was Shane ticked off that you hunted his row? Lol!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some blobbed melted silver like that at an old house site before where the house had burned down. Old woman who had lived there said they had several jars on the fireplace mantle with "queer" coins in them. Nice finds you made!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great silver finds Buck and as always I really enjoyed your post! :occasion14:
I've got a 1918 Silver Quarter soaking in your 'formula' right now... I'll post before and after pics on your other thread if you're interested.

Dave

I would love to see before and after pics!

NOTE: the water MUST be boiling. Warm is not warm enough. Also, the coin is done once the bubble stop, and don't put so much baking soda in that the coin can't get in contact with the aluminum foil. This reaction requires some sort of light contact between the two.

Cheers,

Buck

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an awesome hunt! I'd be happy to find my first half dime, just one! I couldn't imagine finding 2 or 3 in one hunt. Big congrats on all the cool finds and great saves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread