Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to an old farm house (1769) about a half mile from my house yesterday. I've detected this property many times over the last six months and have had some really nice finds, but I've had to work really hard to get through the iron and trash to get them. Yesterday I went there with my new XP Deus to see how it would do. The very first target I dug was this Navy button which I believe is a CW era Chief Petty Officers coat button.

Here is reference I found Ridgeway Civil War Archive Buttons from Federal Navy other patterns.

The back of the Button was in fragments and I saved what I could but was unable to see any signs of a back mark. Managed to pull out a few Wheat's and a some other interesting relic also but, the button was the find of the day.

20141217_164613.jpg 20141218_080053.jpg

Upvote 2

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually think this is a turn of the century button, not Civil War. Might be as early as 1880s. That's just my hunch. Note the differences between the CW era example posted (high convex, different border, details, with a backmark).

Nice finds,

Buck

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No idea what era but a very nice button. Congrats on some good finds.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's something about the deep emerald patina on your old key that makes it my favorite find. I like the button and Suspender clips as well ( I think they both are suspender clips? Dunno about the one on the left ). Very nice finds from a good site!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know if it is CW era because i found one this year but i didnt think it was CW era, your button is in very nice shape congrats..

OP
OP

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually think this is a turn of the century button, not Civil War. Might be as early as 1880s. That's just my hunch. Note the differences between the CW era example posted (high convex, different border, details, with a backmark).

Nice finds,

Buck

Thanks for your input!
Unfortunately the back is completely gone, which I know makes it almost impossible to date accurately. The reference I posted was one of two on relicman.com and were the only references I found with similar buttons.

OP
OP

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's something about the deep emerald patina on your old key that makes it my favorite find. I like the button and Suspender clips as well ( I think they both are suspender clips? Dunno about the one on the left ). Very nice finds from a good site!

Thanks! I think the one on the left is not being a suspender clip, it has two small holes on either side that look like tack holes. The key came out of the ground almost as clean as you see it there, this site is pretty kind to old copper and brass.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to various historical sources, including this one:
Chief Petty Officer heritage
it cannot be a US Navy "civil war Chief Petty Officer" button, because that rank was first established by the US Navy on April 1, 1893.

Harry Ridgeway is a longtime personal friend of mine. I'll get word to him that that button-ID on his website is definitely incorrect.

I believe the button shown at the Ridgeway website is a US Navy Chief Petty Officer button from shortly after that rank was established in the 1890s, manufactured with an old unused back. According to various button-book authors, there are several other known examples of button-makers getting rid of a stockpile of old backs by using them on much-later buttons.

OP
OP

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it cannot be a US Navy "civil war Chief Petty Officer" button, because that rank was first established by the US Navy on April 1, 1893.

Harry Ridgeway is a longtime personal friend of mine. I'll get word to him that that button-ID on his website is definitely incorrect.

I believe the button shown at the Ridgeway website is a US Navy Chief Petty Officer button from shortly after that rank was established in the 1890s, manufactured with an old unused back. According to various button-book authors, there are several other known examples of button-makers getting rid of a stockpile of old backs by using them on much-later buttons.

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I'll just call it an early US Navy CPO button!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting I nearly said British & then I realised the only different was the direction of the rope? (left not right at the top loop)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's also pretty easy for someone to glue together the two parts, so it could have been matched at anytime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread