Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't go detecting today, was just organizing my Christmas club, er I mean some of the clad I found this year.

Now, ya gotta know, I look pretty darn close at my finds. Both when I find them and then later when I organize a post. I'm pretty good at catching hidden jewels. But, I guess I'm still not perfect, yet.

Anyway, I found this 1963 dime in among the dimes. It was black and I just missed it. (sorry, no pics but I can scare one up if anyone needs a reminder of what they look like. :dontknow: ) ;)

Pay attention to those "clad" coins! :)

Anyone who uses a rock tumbler to clean their clad, what is best for the solution inside? Acid? ;) I could use some help
on this as I'm figuring on doing some cleaning.

Thanks!

Upvote 3

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It happens Gary. I found a silver Washington after I tumbled it with my clad, lol.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Schwa found 2 gold rings this year thought were garbage till I got home and cleaned the dirt off them

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens Gary. I found a silver Washington after I tumbled it with my clad, lol.

Do your coins come out looking any more "normal" after tumbling?

What do you use? How long does it take?

Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use sand and dish detergent on my clad in the tumbler, they come out spendable

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use vinegar and some polishing material I got at Harbor Freight. Don't care for it much though, lol. Am looking for a new method.
Just make sure you do your coppers alone and separate the clad from them.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use sand and dish detergent on my clad in the tumbler, they come out spendable

I use vinegar and some polishing material I got at Harbor Freight. Don't care for it much though, lol. Am looking for a new method.
Just make sure you do your coppers alone and separate the clad from them.

Guess I'll just need to experiment. Maybe some muriatic acid? ;) I wonder, do the nickles ever lose their red color after they turn? :dontknow:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you go on YouTube, there are videos on tumbling detector finds.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go on YouTube, there are videos on tumbling detector finds.

WHAAAAAATTT!! Go on the tube!!! And ignore ALL this wealth of knowledge!!?!?!?? :nono:

I went there before and they said, put your coins in the tub, run it for a while, then take them out. :dontknow:

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got me 3 barbers this year diging what I thought was clad funny a lot of detecterest dig only deep targets...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is your goal? If it is to make them spendable or so they can go through a coinstar machine, then muratic acid is not necessary. I use very little cleaner, just a 1/2 cap of mister clean. The coins will be redeemable. I did play around with some CLR I had around the house and turned clad more silver, but the time and expense is not worth it IMHO.

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who uses a rock tumbler to clean their clad, what is best for the solution inside? Acid? ;) I could use some help

Thanks![/QUOTE]

i just use aquarium gravel mixed in with some larger pebbles so it fills up about half the drum. Add enough water to just cover the sand mix. Two good squirts of dish washing liquid, then add clad (take out the pennies and run them separately so the clad doesn't turn color) Run it for a few hours and you're good to go. The red clad does lose the red color. I've tried vinegar and salt but its just more things to measure and add in and if you're just going to spend the clad; IMHO, it's not worth the extra effort. Also, if you add too much salt and/or vinegar, you may get some weird coloration and deterioration. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your goal? If it is to make them spendable or so they can go through a coinstar machine, then muratic acid is not necessary. I use very little cleaner, just a 1/2 cap of mister clean. The coins will be redeemable. I did play around with some CLR I had around the house and turned clad more silver, but the time and expense is not worth it IMHO.

Thanks!

i just use aquarium gravel mixed in with some larger pebbles so it fills up about half the drum. Add enough water to just cover the sand mix. Two good squirts of dish washing liquid, then add clad (take out the pennies and run them separately so the clad doesn't turn color) Run it for a few hours and you're good to go. The red clad does lose the red color. I've tried vinegar and salt but its just more things to measure and add in and if you're just going to spend the clad; IMHO, it's not worth the extra effort. Also, if you add too much salt and/or vinegar, you may get some weird coloration and deterioration. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info! I believe that's about all I need to know to start. I was just thinking about a coinstar trip. But, I never have and was wondering if the fact that the quarters are usually black and not shiny/reflective would affect the mechanism.

I'll just have to experiment.

Thanks again!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually roll my clad and pennies ( oops, cents! ),Gary, after I tumble them and deposit it in my account. My bank hasn't complained about them.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the dime.
I use dawn dish detergent rocks and water, I do pennies and silver (clad) separate.

There is a cleaning and preservation forum on our site, that is where I got my ideas.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the dime.
I use dawn dish detergent rocks and water, I do pennies and silver (clad) separate.

There is a cleaning and preservation forum on our site, that is where I got my ideas.

Yeah, Treb, there is a LOT of info on here! I was perusing that as well.

Thanks!

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have experimented with spraying a little oven cleaner on dirty stuff. You know how powerful THAT is... cleaned some old horse shoes for me,
Careful though, could ruin some things ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread