🥇 BANNER Rarest US Silver coin minted in the 20th century found 1901 S Barber Quarter

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

Attachments

• DSC02765 copy.jpg
    DSC02765 copy.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • image1-1.JPG
    image1-1.JPG
    911.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • image2-1 copy.jpg
    image2-1 copy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 971
Upvote 109

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Awesome recovery, congrats to you.

I'm looking for her twin sister!

HH ALL

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words and advice guys! The coin is off to Great Collections where they will provide a grading service and then the coin will be put up for auction. I have had several offers on the coin. I took the coin to folk at several different coin stores locally. The predicted grades and value varied widely from shop to shop. The coin has some great details and it will beinteresting to see how the grading system treats it. I assume because it's a "dug" coin that it will be a difficult grade. I am hopeful it will retain a "details" VF grade but there is a possibility that it will be "ungradeable". One of the local shops has straight up told me that the coin was out of their league as far as finding a buyer for it and instructed me not to take less than 10k for the coin. All depends on how that grade comes back. 4k is in my opinion laughable. I see worn flat 01 S's sold on Ebay for more than that. So if you're interested in owning a piece of rare American silver coinage... You might be in for a treat come auction time ;) I'll be making a video about this whole find and the process/thought process, auction etc. Should be some articles to look forward to as well. Thanks again guys!

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking forward to watching your Video! Good Luck Dr. Tones - I hope you make a fortune on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I don't quite think it will be a fortune but I hope it does well!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on such a rare coin! She's a beauty too!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best to you in your decision, Doc and keep us up to snuff as things progress.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I'm late to the party, here, Doc- but when I saw a Barber in the banner I had to see what was going on. WOW. Now that is one amazing find- congratulations and I echo the thoughts of many on this thread in that you should put it in a very safe place and hang on to it. I often think about the astronomical odds of walking over the right square foot of land that an artifact has been sitting in for 100+ years waiting for me to put the coil over it, decide to dig it, and extract it. It's amazing- and I've come to believe that we're meant to find them. I think the hobby teaches us humility when we get skunked and something altogether else when we find an amazing coin like your quarter. Keep up the great work and Happy New Year to you and everyone on T-Net.

I Also believe some Coins/ Relics are left for Certain People to find..
Too many cases of folks finding Rare & Nice Items in " Hunted out areas".

Ill bet the Dr's Hunting partner has a slight case of envy 'that maybe Dr,Tones can take care of if he makes a Big Sale'LOL
Esp, if his buddy put him on the Site.
This is why I hunt Alone ...(Greed)!...No actually I like to play by my own rules.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detecting partner who works at Rose Hill coin shop in Boise, who examined this coin, told me that they thought only $3000 - $4000

With prices like that , I need to shop there next time I'm in Idaho.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words and advice guys! The coin is off to Great Collections where they will provide a grading service and then the coin will be put up for auction. I have had several offers on the coin. I took the coin to folk at several different coin stores locally. The predicted grades and value varied widely from shop to shop. The coin has some great details and it will beinteresting to see how the grading system treats it. I assume because it's a "dug" coin that it will be a difficult grade. I am hopeful it will retain a "details" VF grade but there is a possibility that it will be "ungradeable". One of the local shops has straight up told me that the coin was out of their league as far as finding a buyer for it and instructed me not to take less than 10k for the coin. All depends on how that grade comes back. 4k is in my opinion laughable. I see worn flat 01 S's sold on Ebay for more than that. So if you're interested in owning a piece of rare American silver coinage... You might be in for a treat come auction time ;) I'll be making a video about this whole find and the process/thought process, auction etc. Should be some articles to look forward to as well. Thanks again guys!

I also look forward to the results.
Would love to own that coin , but a little too pricey for me 'unless a chunk of money comes along'.
GL
Merry Christmas
Davers

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely will get some old pill bottles and cotton and take with me from now on. I'm very careful how I dig my coins when I get to go dirt fishing, but have scratched a few and will be more careful from now on. Just in case a find of a lifetime is under my coil. The oldest coin I have found so far is a 1901 Indian Head penny.

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Corinth, Illinois It aint on the map! Southern
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/sunray probe, Excelerator EQ2 coil
I found a 1901 S Barber Quarter in 2007, i was fortunate that it was buried deep in black soil, so no environmental damage. Mine would grade g-6 to vg-8 three letters in Liberty visible and 3/4 of a 4th letter. Great find on your 01 s. There was a guy in Washington state that found one a few years back that had gravel rash on it. Nice to see one found in such a good condition. I had mine authenticated and NOT GRADED!!!! DSC02239 (Small).JPG DSC02240 (Small).JPG

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading an old issue of lost treasure or w & e treasure and there was an article about how dug coins didn't have as much value to numismatic collectors as one that hadn't been underground. I can't remember the article's author, but it was about cleaning coins and preserving them. I would have thought if you found a rare coin and in great shape, some collector who needed it for their collection would be willing to bid for it like a regular coin. Kind of put salt on my tail feathers so to speak, because I always dream of finding that special coin and having a little extra money one of these days. I'm not in our hobby for the money, but just the enjoyment. However, a big payday wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belated congrats on your awesome coin find. At least my late reply gives your thread some resilience by putting your coin back on page one. May your good fortune keep going into 2015.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find, congrats
slabbing is up to the owner,it does help in price
or just having authenticated is also a good thing
again its up to you.
personally if you really dont need the cash that bad,i would keep that puppy in the family.
you just might never dig another.:BangHead::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread