Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I probably should put this in the "What is It" forum, but thought I'd try it here first. I dug this coin a couple weeks ago at a 1640s land patent site. Its the same site I found a year ago through research, but it didn't produce much. But just about everything I dug there was 17th century. I went back recently with my new machine, and found this copper at a great depth using the boost mode on my F75 Special Edition. It came from an estimated 12-14" down. I thought it was just a slick copper, but I just noticed in the pics I took that I can see an "R", and possibly other detail in the first 2 pics below. Can't seem to pick out anything on the other side. This coin is very thin, is slightly oblong in shape (about 23x22mm), and weighs 2.85 grams which is exactly what my Lord Baltimore sixpence weighed. I didn't immediately recognize this coin, and thought someone might be willing to make a wild guess. I think its likely to be 17th century but no way to be sure. Anyway, I appreciate any help with this. You'll need to click on the thumbnails below to enlarge.

Sorry - but I just realized the pics got posted out of order by the website (yet again), so the details can be seen in the last 2 pics instead of the first 2.

Attachments

• copper1a.jpg
    copper1a.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 179
  • copper1b.jpg
    copper1b.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 174
  • copper1c.jpg
    copper1c.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Upvote 5

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You'll being doing well if you get a ID on that one. I do think I see a bit of a outline of a bust, but hard to tell. Have you tried a light rubbing?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! You'll being doing well if you get a ID on that one. I do think I see a bit of a outline of a bust, but hard to tell. Have you tried a light rubbing?

I think its just too slick to get anything from a rubbing. But someone posted a real possibility on the "What Is it" forum. Check that out and let me know what you think.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its just too slick to get anything from a rubbing. But someone posted a real possibility on the "What Is it" forum. Check that out and let me know what you think.

Yes, from looking at his example, and then looking at your piece and letting the R determine the top of the coin, I see enough to think it a real possibility. I'd go with that ID until you have a reason to think otherwise.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help you with the coin Bill, but as far as the pictures being in order, I start my picture file names with a 1, 2 ,3 or an a, b, c in order for them to appear in the order I want.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't help you with the coin Bill, but as far as the pictures being in order, I start my picture file names with a 1, 2 ,3 or an a, b, c in order for them to appear in the order I want.

I do that too Steve, but it still screws them up half the time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like I can see an R with a raised "DOT". The dot is north of center on the R. Probably not even close but look at the Queen Anne pattern Halfpenny. See th BR with the dot in the same place?

Pictures of Coins of the UK - Half Pence

VPR

Doubt the size would be right, and quite honestly that would be much rarer to dig than his Baltimore. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions