The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Worn
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Worn

After about two hours of going blank in the woods today I was ready to call it quits. It was during my slow retreat back to the car that I got a perfect penny/dime signal at about three inches. I remember thinking - alright, this is probably a coin and I hope it's silver. I cut a plug, and the target is still in the hole, but I must of pushed it a little deeper into the hole or turned it on it's side, since the signal changed to iffy quarter or something like that. So I pulled out a nice shovel full of dirt from the hole and checked the pile with the coil and it's back to reading penny/dime. I then used my pinpointer in the pile and heard it ring out. Pushing aside some dirt I saw the glint of silver and knew I had a coin. As soon as I picked it up I immediately knew it was a Reale, but my heart sank almost as fast when I saw that it was just about totally worn smooth on both sides, with cut lines to one side. Though I guess I was fortunate enough that even in it's extremely worn condition I can still make out the date of 1771.

P.S. This story is almost identical to how I found my first 1 Reale in these woods last summer. Just like today, I was on my way out of the woods and got a perfect penny/dime signal, that changed after I pulled the plug. The one I found that day was in nice condition, with a clear date of 1778.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reale2.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	128539  
    Attached Images Attached Images    

us
    Dec 2006
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Garrett ACE 250
    14 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Wor

It is still beautiful to me! A coin that is older than our country! Amazing

Nov 2006
    14 times

Re: The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Worn

I think the good news out weighs the bad! I'd love to break into the 1700's!!
    Congrats on a nice find.
    Regards,
    Jules

us
    Apr 2006
    Michigan
    27 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Worn

Sweet coin Bookfisher, at least you could get the date off of it. Congrats!

Smiles!
    BDoo
    "I'm a finder, not a loser!"

us
    Oct 2006
    FL
    White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse
    4 times

Maybe X marks the spot did you think about that. Nice find.

us
    skalleewag

Dec 2006
    TREASURE COAST, FLORIDA
    garrett
    11 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

remember this is metal detecting..........................
    WHAT LIES BENEATH.........

us
    Aug 2005
    Illinois
    24 times

I can only dream of finding one of those, Congratulations...
    MXT,  and just dumb luck.

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    38 times

Re: The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Wor

Wow, that is worn. At least you can id it and read the date. Still a great find.
    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

Oct 2006
    Zelienople
    White's XLT
    1271 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Mine has minimal detail on back and less on front, but can still make out a date. The date on those Reales must be prominent enough to survive tremendous wear. Great find!
    A gentleman farmer named Floyd
    With some of his kin was annoyed
    The boys in their youth
    Did not know the truth
    And one of his tools was destroyed

Aug 2004
    8 times

Silver is silver, but that is mighty OLD silver ! Something to treasure, especially since you can still make out the date.
    Happy Tesoro user - Mid Missouri

us
    Nov 2005
    Ohio
    Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
    43 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Yes like the others have said, that is one awesome find. Finding it on the way back to the car is priceless. Just ask my partner, I find some of my best finds heading back to the car. Many guys on here have done the same thing. Don't ask me why, I guess it's fate or dumb luck. But it works. Those people who turn off their detectors, when leaving for the car are missing the boat.

HH, Ringfinder
    Minelab GPX 4500, Nautilus IIB, ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Depth Pro, Fisher 1235, Fisher F-75, Minelab Explorer II, X-terra 70

Nothing wrong with that! Date is still clear and the cut marks give it a ton of character!
    Finder of Things!

Jan 2007
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Whites Vision Spectra
    21 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Who cares if it's worn. Still a great find. Congrats.

us
    Dec 2004
    Florida
    Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
    59 times

Aw-some!

us
    Mar 2005
    Springfield, MO
    5 times

great coin, congrats

hh twister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links