Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

It is about to get very cold here in SC so I broke out the Safari after work for some sunset hunting. After around 30 minutes of constant pull tabs I started debating bumping up the discrim for the last 20 minutes of detecting to be more productive. As I laid the Safari on the ground, a weak 17-19 signal rang out. Seeing as I had dug 10 tabs already I figured why not 1 more...and out pops this!

1.jpg 2.jpg

Visible on the coin is a "2 ROSA AMER" although it has been cut.

Here's what they look like uncut

21982703o.jpg 21982703r.jpg

These were only minted for the American and Irish colonies between 1722-1724. Awesome piece of colonial currency lying in the dirt for the last 307 years.

Nearby I also found these...an unknown and very ornate copper button (maybe a different period) and a shoe buckle.

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Upvote 18

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you've really had some great finds recently. Nice job on getting on some old productive sites

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, very cool, gotta love the history there, some really great finds, congrats on the last minute finds

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin looks more like it's broken not cut, so it's likely a cast counterfeit.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would be an easy counterfeit as they were a mix "Bath metal" composed of 75% brass, 20% zinc (mixed with tin and bismuth) and 5% silver and were to weigh slightly less than half the weight of English coins. Do you think it was broken after it was discovered to be fake? Can't think of a reason why such small currency would be cut.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some interesting history:

Wood was authorized to make 120 halfpence to the pound (compared to forty-six halfpence to the pound at the Tower of London mint) which, according to Mossman, would yield a 140% profit after adjusting for production costs. Unfortunately, Wood had been required to pay the Duchess of Kendal £10,000 for his Irish indenture (apparently no additional charge was incurred for the American colonial indenture) so he was forced to mint his coins at an even lower weight in order to return a profit! These lightweight coins were not accepted by the colonists. Wood's penny was similar to a London halfpenny and his halfpenny was like the farthing, while his twopence did not correspond in weight to any currently circulating coin. In New York, merchants refused to accept the coins, while the General Assembly of Massachusetts in June of 1722 authorized the printing of £500 in one penny, two pence and three pence paper bills, rather than accept the Rosa Americana coins! Nevertheless, some colonies did accept them, although only reluctantly and only in limited quantities.

My theory based on the above is that it was refused by a merchant in Charleston due to its low weight and destroyed.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be an easy counterfeit as they were a mix "Bath metal" composed of 75% brass, 20% zinc (mixed with tin and bismuth) and 5% silver and were to weigh slightly less than half the weight of English coins. Do you think it was broken after it was discovered to be fake? Can't think of a reason why such small currency would be cut.

If it's counterfeit they could have used any metals they wanted, but maybe a coin of that composition could snap like that if enough force was used. Was it dug in a farm field? Thinking about the look of my Twopence I think I could see it breaking and looking similar.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, found in a field that was truck farmed in the early 1900s. Can't imagine you would counterfeit a coin generally not accepted by most merchants.

I think counterfeit is just a possibility, but to address your comment if counterfeit coins can have impossible dates, or even be in reverse because the die was engraved the wrong way, pretty much anything is possible.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, really far South! Nice to see such an old copper coming up. Really a stellar find!

Best Wishes,

Buck

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that that is awesome. 1722... Calico Jack Rackham was executed just 2 years earlier and Anne Bonny would have just been released from prison after her pirating shenanigans with him :D :treasurechest::skullflag::blackbeard:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30k.gif don't think ive ever seen a cut one before
here's my one and only
DSC00154.JPG

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find. Congrats. GL&HH!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it. And since you're not likely to be spending it and can hold it in your hand it's as real as it gets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread