🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a SWEET Year it Was! CaneBandits Wrap-Up--LOTS of Pics

Hello All,

What a great year 2014 was! The year started out with ice storms in South Louisiana, and my team and I got onto a site full of coins from the 1930s through the 1960s. Then we started hunting a site that deserved a second chance, finding Seated silver, Spanish Reales, and even some French Colonial finds! I married Diggergirl in May, and we had a beautiful metal detecting themed wedding attended by many diggers. After that, her and I had a two part honeymoon which was--of course--detecting!! We started out digging with Hill Billy, and made some great finds. It was fantastic to get to hang out with him again and do some digging. Here were our finds, including some early civilian buttons, ramrod channel, and an Eagle "I" Button:

HPIM4969.JPG

Then we went to the beach for part two of our honeymoon, and that involved--of course--detecting! The best find was a Spyderco knife, and runner-up find was a silver ring:

beach.JPG beach2.JPG

After that, I went back home to dig with BuckleDad, and we managed to find an early site where I dug a complete shoe buckle and old spoon bowl. BuckleDad was rewarded with his first silver ever (which was a really rewarding experience for me)--a Mercury Dime. It was like deja vu, since my first silver was also a Mercury Dime back in 1993... :)

HPIM4742.JPG HPIM4743.JPG
dad and dime (1).jpg HPIM4724.JPG

Then we subsisted as a team by hunting backup sites in the 110 degree heat during the summer, finding some good items here and there, and waiting patiently for the 12 foot tall sugar cane to be harvested in our top sites. :) When harvest came, game on!

Many individual finds stand out in our totals for 2014, like Shane's cut 8 Reales and Peruvian 1 Real, as well as his Civil War era silver serving spoon with the New Orleans maker's mark that he dug. He also dug a lump of melted silver weighing several ounces from the site of an antebellum home that burned, so in terms of weight of silver recovered, he was the Silver King of 2014.

melted silver.jpg

Diggergirl's best finds were no doubt her 1792 French 2 Sol Copper coin, 1813 Half Stiver, Grape Shot, silver wax seal fob, and iron picket pin. DiggerGirl also got some newer bottles from a dump we dug:

picket.JPG HPIM4984.JPG grape.JPG

I was most pleased with a Civil War Louisiana Pelican button, 1700s French silver spoon made in Paris for export to Louisiana, a beautiful 1829 Cap and Rays 1 Real, 1872 Seated Half Dollar, and Belgian boot pistol. But some finds were just strange, like this headless clown and the pottery egg holder:

HPIM5000.JPG

Here are some memorable finds photos from the field in 2014. 1813 King George III Half Stiver, Seated Half Dollar, and 1792 French Colonial Copper:

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Spanish One Real, one of numerous Seated Silvers, and a BIG 2 Reales, just dug:

4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Antebellum Belgian boot pistol frame, grape shot, and a handfull of finds from a good hunt:

7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG

So without further ado, here are the display cases and collections, starting with the marbles and glass buttons that were found by DG and I:

HPIM4981.JPG HPIM4982.JPG

Here is DiggerGirl's display case, full of relics and coins going back to the 1700s:

HPIM4977.JPG

My display cases. (Can't believe I dug this many holes!)

HPIM4970.JPG HPIM4971A.jpg HPIM4972.JPG

HPIM4973.JPG HPIM4974.JPG HPIM4975.JPG

HPIM4976A.jpg HPIM4979.JPG HPIM4980.JPG

And Shane's fantastic silver coin and relic finds for 2014:

IMG_1832.JPG IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_1839.JPG

Here is what our signature line for 2014 said:

2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
1792 French 2 Sol Copper
1813 Half Stiver King George III
181? Cut Quarter of an 8 Reales
1826 Two Reales
1827 Peruvian Republic 1 Real
1815 Ferdinand 1 Real
1829 Cap and Rays 1 Real
1781, 1803, 1811, 1814, and two Dateless Half Reales
1872 Seated Half Dollar
1876-S Seated Quarter
EIGHT Seated Half Dimes: 1838, 1839, three 1840-O's, 1842-O, 1848-O, 1857 and one dateless half dime
NINE Seated Dimes: 1838-O (No Stars), 1875, 1876-CC, Two 1875-S, 1876-S, Two 1887 and an 1888
1700s French Silver Spoon
U.S.S. New Orleans Silver Pendant (1890s)
Large New Orleans Hallmarked Silver Spoon and a monogrammed antebellum coin silver spoon
185? Large Cent
c.1830-40s Belgian .50 cal brass pistol barrel and frame
Confederate Pelican Civil War Button
1840s Convex Eagle Militia Button
CW Eagle "I" Button
1lb. Grape Shot
CW Era "snake" Sword Hanger
Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
1893-S and 1896 Barber Quarters
1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
1894-O, 1902-O, and 1911-D Barber Dimes
1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
1864-L Indian Head Cent
186?, 1866, and a Dateless Shield Nickel
Assorted Civil War Bullets and Musketballs
Plantation Tokens
Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag

So it's time to clear out the signature line, put up another year-end post, and get some more finds added tour our 2015 totals.

Best Wishes,

Buck, Shanegalang, and DiggerGirl

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Wow, what a year for the gang in Louisiana!
Congrats on your awesome finds, so much silver! Please take a bow

Here's hoping '15 treats just as good, and the 'big one' is under your coil

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a year for the gang in Louisiana!
Congrats on your awesome finds, so much silver! Please take a bow

Here's hoping '15 treats just as good, and the 'big one' is under your coil

As always, I am amazed at the numbers of silver coins in the ground down here. I've already dug my 'big one' for my lifetime. Time for Shane and Diggergirl to dig theirs!

Cheers,

Buck

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Man ! You really did have a great year!! I enjoyed all the pics in one place. So many good finds ... major congrats and I hope the detecting gods look favorably on you again in 2015.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:treasurechest:It was quite the season for you and definitely one that you're going to remember forver...getting married and finds like that....hard to top that next year....hmmmmmm maybe next year there will be a diggerbaby???? :dontknow:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big congrats to the gang on an outstanding year. Nice pics Buck!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great year and thanks for sharing. Very nice post.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm running out of room lol. Never ceases to amaze me, the things that we unearth! Just when I think I may be getting bored I remind myself of just how spoiled I am ;) I am having rings for my wife and I made at a silver and gold shop, with the chunk of silver I dug. I will be posting pictures of them when they are done. Already a great start to 2015 and have only been once. Heres to an even better year, Cheers!! Shanegalang- La Canne Terrain Bandits!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a really awesome set of finds. Your coins are just spectacular! GL&HH.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great year Buck! First off congrats on your new beautiful bride, your best find of the year. I really enjoy your posts. The finds are amazing but the story always stands out. I love all the Spanish silver. It's a great feeling when you see that in the hole. Though we don't have a lot here in Maine I've been lucky to experience a few. I might have to say that Diggergirls 1792 is one of my favorite coins. Nice to see you knock down the barber quarter this year as well.
I have a lot of respect for anybody that goes out in that heat. Maine may suck in the winter but it's perfect in the other months. I hope 2015 is a monster year for you all bud

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Way to go on a wonderful 2014 and I hope you have a better 2015.
Dman

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's been a good ride reading your posts and you've had another season to remember having gotten married, and been able to detect with family and friends, getting some firsts along with watching the others experience their firsts what could anyone ask for more. Thanks for posting up the totals as it all comes together into a great display of interesting finds.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:treasurechest:It was quite the season for you and definitely one that you're going to remember forver...getting married and finds like that....hard to top that next year....hmmmmmm maybe next year there will be a diggerbaby???? :dontknow:

Haha, there is no BuckleBaby in the near future. Gotta preserve the wife and my digging time together! :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats to the gang on an outstanding year. Nice pics Buck!

I was especially impressed with Shane's excellent photos at the end of the thread! Happy 2015 to you,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm running out of room lol. Never ceases to amaze me, the things that we unearth! Just when I think I may be getting bored I remind myself of just how spoiled I am ;) I am having rings for my wife and I made at a silver and gold shop, with the chunk of silver I dug. I will be posting pictures of them when they are done. Already a great start to 2015 and have only been once. Heres to an even better year, Cheers!! Shanegalang- La Canne Terrain Bandits!!

Running out of room already? You better buy a bigger house LOL, cause there's a LOT more diggin to do! Great pix you sent, and can't wait to see those rings!

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all Kill it down there! Love the coins. Love the silver. Love the marbles. Love it all. I can look at your photo's and hear the past talking to me. If I was holding those great finds I would be in awe. I like to think that the lives and times that touched all of your finds this past year will be represented everyday on your wife's finger. Cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions