🥇 BANNER LIGHTNING STRUCK TWICE!--ANOTHER FIND OF A LIFETIME!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am still in disbelief at this day. When I found a Planter's Bank Counterstamped Quarter-Cut 8 Reales back in 2013 with a five digit price tag, I thought I'd never, EVER again see something that rare or valuable under my coil again.

Well, today I found a SECOND one of these incredible coins! Only 75-100 examples known, and I now have TWO in my collection. Here is what Q. David Bowers says about these coins in the book "100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens." The history of these pieces is quite fascinating, and closely related to the historical reason that the US dollar denomination was divided into four quarters (to enlarge the photo, click, then click a second time):

PBbook.JPG

We were out for about 10 hours today in the mud and muck, and we dug a grand total of less than 10 keepers. This coin was found in an area we were scouting that had some sparse signs, but turned out to have no real concentration of finds. The coin must have been a random drop long, long ago.

It's official. I have now dug more of these coins than Barber Quarters. :laughing7:

This is Spanish/Real #58 since spring of 2012 for us digging in Louisiana. I know I said we'd have a party when we hit #60--but for me, the party is starting right now! :headbang:

post.JPG post1.JPG

HPIM5028.JPG HPIM5029.JPG post2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 88
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Buck!! That magic wand you're calling your detector has come through yet again with another awesome piece of history. Guess I'd better stop wasting time on this forum so I can go out and dig my Lord Baltimore denarium or colonial gold while the pot is hot.

I was thinking about sending my F75 in for the upgrade, but I'm glad I didn't do that yet! Wondering if I can let the machine go long enough to get the upgrade done!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome piece of silver!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Wow! What an amazing find and to do it twice. You are the wind beneath my wings, You are my hero, You are superstar. By the way, Nice find.
Dman

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find thanks for sharing!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metallic value is worth only a few dollars but the historic and numismatic value is through the roof! There are so few examples of these that each one is unique. I'd rather find one of these than a gold coin. Very interesting history behind their creation. Amazing and ultra rare! Once again great find my friend. :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What an amazing find and to do it twice. You are the wind beneath my wings, You are my hero, You are superstar. By the way, Nice find.
Dman

No, YOU are my hero, Mr. CSA plate!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metallic value is worth only a few dollars but the historic and numismatic value is through the roof! There are so few examples of these that each one is unique. I'd rather find one of these than a gold coin. Very interesting history behind their creation. Amazing and ultra rare! Once again great find my friend. :D

Don't get me wrong, a gold coin is still on my list to find--but you're right. These are much rarer than digging a gold coin. Thanks for your reply. I really hope this one ends up on the banner up top.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool find!! What are the chances of that happening? Congratulations and thank you for sharing it! :occasion14:

Steve

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool find!! What are the chances of that happening? Congratulations and thank you for sharing it! :occasion14:

Steve

Gotta be incredibly slim. Dug miles from where the first one was recovered. Total deja vu moment!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not believing that!! Lightning does strike twice. WTG, Q.

Voting BANNER (Again)

Thanks for the reply my friend, and thanks for the Banner Vote! If DG had been there, she'd have dug this no doubt! :D

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Congratulations, again!
Ha, I told you a "big one" would find its way under your coil this year, I just wasn't expecting it so soon!
After all, if you put yourself out there in those older sites, the prizes will yours to find, continued success to you

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading that article I think I'm on board now. Congratulations on such a rare and historical find!

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew I got up for something other than a sore hip!:laughing7: That is REALLY HIP!!!

I voted....BANNER!

GOD Bless

Chris

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt! Thanks for the video with the narration on the other finds too - all good. I am so happy for you, you taught me 2 new things in your video. I appreciate that.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, sounds a real slow day. It is funny how the rarist things can come from the most unpromising areas. Thats why I'm sure that if I 'ever' get a Roman Gold in will not be on the 15 or so sites we found but in the middle of no-where. Big congrats on number 2, maybe there is a 3 out there in your future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions