Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early 1900s community that burned down- What I've found so far

On my mother in laws acreage she says there were 6 to 8 homes and a store/gas station next to the road in the early 1900s. In the 20s a fire burned them all down. Her home, which was built in the 50s, has about an acre of lawn that I've started to detect on and found some interesting old stuff, like an old flat iron, part of a pot-bellied stove and a belt buckle plate(I think that's what it's called). So far the back part where the ground has not been disturbed for all this time has only yielded trash but I'm thinking I'm not getting deep enough. I'm going to do more hunting for sure. Here is the buckle.

Attachments

• image2 (1).JPG
    image2 (1).JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 18

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might need to clean out all the trash to get to the good stuff. Iron will mask good signals, so until you clear out the trash you might not get the goodies, a small coin next to big iron wont register until the big iron is gone.There should be some silver coins if the town was from that era.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , I think that buckle rocks !!! Do you know if it's brass or bronze (other ?) Is there anything legible on the back side ? are the
parts still on the back ?

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , I think that buckle rocks !!! Do you know if it's brass or bronze (other ?) Is there anything legible on the back side ? are the
parts still on the back ?
I'm wondering if it could be copper because it's got some of that greenish tint especially on the back. Does brass or bronze do that? And it's not magnetic. I can't find any writing but it does have the parts on the back - 2 sharp little prong -like things on either side.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very beautiful, congrats on the awesome find

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might need to clean out all the trash to get to the good stuff. Iron will mask good signals, so until you clear out the trash you might not get the goodies, a small coin next to big iron wont register until the big iron is gone.There should be some silver coins if the town was from that era.
I think your advice sounds good so I went today determined to dig all signals. I worked for several hours and found so many nails I only cleaned an area about 20' square. I found a skeleton key that was so far gone it broke into pieces in my hands. Everything else was junk. I'm not giving up, though. It's just going to take some patience.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting piece. If you get a chance can you post pics of the back too? There are some very knowledgeable people here that may be able to help you date that if the back is shown. Good luck. Sounds like you have an awesome site that should keep you busy for quite some time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice piece with the hunter scene on it.

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back of buckle.JPG Here is the back
Very interesting piece. If you get a chance can you post pics of the back too? There are some very knowledgeable people here that may be able to help you date that if the back is shown. Good luck. Sounds like you have an awesome site that should keep you busy for quite some time.

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Sounds like you have a lot of nice time to pass on that property and lots of stuff to find probably.

the buckle is very cool, anything with antlers on it is cool!!

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug a few more interesting things along with a lot of trash, broken glass and china. Here is what I think is a finial and a switch plate? image4.JPG

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with cw, it isn't a belt buckle, it is some kind of ornament. Way too flimsy for a buckle, but a cool piece never the less. Looks like it is made of brass and hasn't been in the ground too long due to the lack of green patina over the whole piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread