Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 First's at Field Site #2!!

I have been working a field property with 3 sites. So far Site 1 has been productive and it's been hard to leave it and move on. After about an hour and a half today moving east/west over my previous north/south passes I was skunked. I decided to go investigate site #2 a little better. I have made a few wide swaths looking for the "brick" debris field. Although I have seen a lot of glass, crockery, iron/nails I wasn't sure how close to the actual site I was. Based on finding very few bricks, I think this may have been a frame home and the small amount of bricks may have been a from cooking/hearth.

1st) First. Surface find coin! So after settling on an area of glass and crockery shards, I started swinging my coil. It took about a half hour and I got a great loud/shallow 12/45 on the E-trac, after 3-4 left and right swipes pulling my coil backwards to pin point, there it was on the SURFACE an 1820 LC!

2nd) First. 3 LC day! After about 3 hours I found my 3rd LC. I have been lucky before, I think I've had 3 previous 2 LC days, but today I found 3! I found the 1820 (surface) an 1832 and 1842 a first for both of these dates. I also found a CW Store Card. Obverse, (I think) Mut. Life Ins. Co. Capital over 6,000,000 Dollars 1864. Reverse, (I think) C. W. Ellis Gen. Agt. 35 W. 3d St. Cin, O Dayton Agency 44 Jeff. St

3rd) First. Is also another Surface find and after 3 different determinations I'm still not sure what I have. "Counterfit" "Plated" Seated? So I'm filling in a hole about to get up and to my right at about arms length I see what I think is a flat button. I stretch out and grab it, flip it over to see if the shank is there, no shank? I see the faint shield of the Eagle, but didn't see the Eagle, although I thought it was a little small, I convinced my self it was a 2 cent coin. (1st determination) I filmed this find and even said, "it seem's small, but I guess I have found my 3rd ever 2 cent coin."

When I got home and rinsed it off, that is when I saw the Eagle, BOOM I thought I had just found my first half cent!! (2nd determination) I have seen them posted, but never found one. I didn't know exactly what they look like off hand. So after googling, (before cleaning) so I could see the Eagle on the backs of 1/2 cents, I was surprised to see they don't have an Eagle, but there is a 1837 "token" type that says good for 1/2 cents in copper. After rinsing it off I could see a Seated Lady liberty, WHOA! did I just find my very First Seated Quarter? (3rd determination) It is holed at the date, green like a copper and A BIG PUZZLE to me.

I have only found 2 field Silvers and they're not green! Some of my other (existing home site) Silvers are tarnished a little black, some have rust stains but none are GREEN! This make me wonder if this could have been "Plated" and be a counterfeit? Could my FIRST ever Seated Quarter, not be:icon_scratch:

Please help me ID the Green Seated, Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• 1-23-2015 Group.JPG
    1-23-2015 Group.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 3 LCs Obverse.JPG
    3 LCs Obverse.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Seated Quarter CW Store Card Obverse.JPG
    Seated Quarter CW Store Card Obverse.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Seated Quarter CW Store Card Reverse.JPG
    Seated Quarter CW Store Card Reverse.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Seated Quarter Obverse.JPG
    Seated Quarter Obverse.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 127
  • Seated Qurter Reverse.JPG
    Seated Qurter Reverse.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 14

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You are metally ill!!!!!!!!

That is awesome. Congrats and wow, what a day buddy!

Happy hunting

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bill......Nice recap of finds & pictures.......the "copper" seated w/eagle on reverse looks like a fake coin for sure.....I have dug a silver looking pot metal fake, but never a copper looking one.....Keep us posted on future finds on these sites & Good Luck......HH everyone!

Bill

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bill......Nice recap of finds & pictures.......the "copper" seated w/eagle on reverse looks like a fake coin for sure.....I have dug a silver looking pot metal fake, but never a copper looking one.....Keep us posted on future finds on these sites & Good Luck......HH everyone!

Bill

I assume it's Copper because of the Green patina and the tell tale blackish surface where the Green is missing. Being a surface find, I have no clue what ID/Range it will ring up. IDEA!! i'm gonna swing my coil over it Duh! Ok so just doing an air scan it's ringing up 11/12 - 46 on the E-trac. that's indicative of Silver, Still CONFUSED.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I assume it's Copper because of the Green patina and the tell tale blackish surface where the Green is missing. Being a surface find, I have no clue what ID/Range it will ring up. IDEA!! i'm gonna swing my coil over it Duh! Ok so just doing an air scan it's ringing up 11/12 - 46 on the E-trac. that's indicative of Silver, Still CONFUSED.

Vino was telling me that coppers usually show up in and around that range on the Etrac/CTX. It sure looks copper to me.

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vino was telling me that coppers usually show up in and around that range on the Etrac/CTX. It sure looks copper to me.

Yea Scrappy they will bounce around some. LCs will usually go 12/45,46. Wheaties and copper memorials usually no higher than 11,12/43,44 sometimes when the ground is saturated the signals tend to be elevated. It's really all in the tone between Silver and Copper sound. I didn't test it with the headphones on. But I'm inclined to agree with you, that it's copper. Now to do a little research about counterfeit Seated Quarters.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks exactly like the contemporary counterfeit Seated Quarter I found this past fall in Phila.

Check out this site
Liberty Seated Collectors Club - Homepage

Great hunt, you found some great stuff!
I could post my thread about that coin if you want?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks treblehunter, although it's not my First Silver Seated Quarter, it's my First Counterfeit Coin, woop woop. That's kinda cool and different. I hope the next one I see is SHINEY!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt buddy! What's the diameter of the eagle coin? There was an 1837 copper token about the size of a large cent. The eagle looks identical.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry bro I see you already knew this. Getting late :tongue3:

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Abe, I can def. see enough detail to see a Seated lady Liberty on the obverse. It is what it is, not a 1/2 center, not a Silver Legit Seated, not even the 1837 token. I do believe it is a counterfeit, which is cool enough I've never found a counterfeit. It is nearly an exact fit to a modern quarter, thickness and diameter (sorry no calipers) I used a little tape measure and I think it measured 24 mm. If I know the right increments.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup that's a really cool first bud. I've found one counterstamp and haven't yet figured out if the real/cuff link is counterfeit so I will keep searching. Man I wish I could dig here. I've been researching like crazy and I'm going to a lecture this morning on the history of a local town that had settlement in 1649.
Congrats on a first bro. I love seeing people cross stuff off the list. It gets harder and harder but the challenge is awesome

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup that's a really cool first bud. I've found one counterstamp and haven't yet figured out if the real/cuff link is counterfeit so I will keep searching. Man I wish I could dig here. I've been researching like crazy and I'm going to a lecture this morning on the history of a local town that had settlement in 1649.
Congrats on a first bro. I love seeing people cross stuff off the list. It gets harder and harder but the challenge is awesome

What you are doing now will pay dividends when you can hunt Abe. It's kinda like doing major work on the Harley, we don't do it during riding season that's what winter is for! We have had 4-5 days just hovering in the mid 30s but below freezing overnight. I was actually shocked yesterday at how "thawed" the ground was, no problems digging. I'm guessing the water/rain has seeped farther down allowing the first 6-8 inches to be easily turned! Yea it's not a pretty, shiny Seated Quarter but it is unique and I'm really diggin it! Thanks buddy have a great day.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really awesome finds, finding a counterfeit is super cool, they are part of history too. it always amazes me at what people do to get out of work or to just rip people off. I am amazed at what mankind was able to build or make back then with the tools that they had to work with... hence, master craftsmen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread