missouri burlington artifact

missourikid

Jan 28, 2015
southwest mo
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was just wanting to get some opinions on an artifact that I found recently. Tell me what you guys think it is please? And maybe a value of some sort?
0128151418a.jpg 0128151418.jpg
0128151420.jpg
It measures 3 and 15/16 x 2 and 1/8 inches

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure exactly what it's called, but to me that looks like a Native American spear point.

Upvote 0

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beaut. ! Much more typical in size where u are. The area I live in has no native stones.. Sandy. So almost all of our Native artifacts had been traded for.. lot's of trading because we have tons of points.
The closer to the Chesapeake Bay, the larger they can get.
Very nice size, stone and workmanship.

Think of it, their tools last, and r just as sharp as the day they were made.. which can be thousands of years ago. What will our civilization leave behind? No comparison..
You can check on eBay or some such sites for pricing.. they go up and down. Worth quite a bit more than you could get 20 years ago. But it gets high points for condition and size as well as age. Dating can be done through your local archeological society, baring that, try local history dept. at college.
Very nice find ! Congrats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful. Looks like a North, supposedly the preform for a Snyder point. Heckuva find.

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MOKid, it looks like an Adena blade, circa Woodland period 3000-1200 before present, based on the size, shape, and random flaking. They go for several hundred dollars in excellent condition. Were you advised it was made of Burlington chert? Sub

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful looking point, congrats.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions