Finally got the detector out today, yes in the snow bank!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son came in and asked to use my pin pointer. Piquing my curiosity more than just a little (cause I'm the family MD'ing NUT, lol!) I gave it to him showed him how to turn it on, then asked what he needed it for.
Seems he lost his front truck plate in the snow bank yesterday while clearing snow from the blizzard. I told him he would have to be with in three inches with the pin pointer and the snow bank is 4 1/2 feet high and just as wide, and he may need to use my detector!. He grumbled something and went out the door with the pin pointer.

Twenty minutes later he came back in for the detector, I took it outside and ground balanced it showed him how to sweep it , told him it was going to be noisy because of over head power lines, but the plate would give a solid signal.

Now you know I can't stay in the house when there's any MD'ing going on! He was ready to give up, so I went out to help. I had him sweep it over a can to get an idea what the plate would sound like. He was trying the top of the opposite snow bank and got a signal, when he dug it up it was a beer can! :laughing7: He was dejected by that so I checked the rest of the snow bank, told him I didn't think it was here. As we are headed to the house he wipes the snow out of his front grill and finds the plate was shoved backwards into the space in front of the radiator!

So he found a beer can, and the plate, but I don't think he will be detecting any time soon! :laughing7:

Upvote 16

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What town are you in, and did you make it out OK?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too bad you aren't going to have a detecting buddy, but it might be a blessing too! He might " borrow " your detector and figure Dear old Mom wouldn't mind him keeping it awhile lol.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BWD- good old Brockton, we're fine just a LOT of snow, we have a wood stove, no worries here!

OD-He who lays hands on my detector without asking first....well, heads will roll! That's why he asked me first.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonder what number comes up on a license plate find?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh, see? The detector is a tool and can be used for good! It's not "necessarily" evil, as some people would have us believe. ;)

Good to hear from you, was beginning to worry.

Good for you! By eliminating the snowbank, you found the tag for him!

WTG!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey aluminium is worth cash

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RJw- probably the same as 2 beer cans, about the same size and metal type. It was dark out and we were detecting by sound alone, the snow bank was almost metal free, so we weren't looking at the meter.

WHADIFIND- shhhhhhh! What if that gets out, it would ruin our bad PR! I'm still around after that blizzard so they're stuck with me! I probably should have ask him the usual question first "where was the last place you saw it?" Lol!

Jeff- empty beer can - 5 cents, a full one, well that increases the value quite a bit!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
But he will always remember the time you guys found the license plate.

WOW, Brockton...Get to the beach as soon as they get those roads cleared..Great Location..

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love that story MSB. A lady in my town lost her very expensive diamond ring and asked me to look for it. I spent 2 hours in the yard with no luck. Before I left, she said "Quindy, it was always sized too big. It may have fallen off my finger into the trash I sent off yesterday". HH, Q.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice story MBB. Glad to hear that you are braving the storm. Spring will be here soon!

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN. He was a little embarrassed, I don't know why, I was having FUN! Lol!

V1266. I figured if I didn't find it, it was probably elsewhere. My first gold ring find with the M6 was a neighbor's wedding ring. It's usually not where they tell you it is!

Tom There's a several tons of snow to search first! Who knows maybe I'll find a new car! Lol!

PP. Thank you. Where there's a way we will detect!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the title of your thread, my first thought was, someone lost their car keys! So Mom is available to save the day huh? Our kids don't know how lucky they are to have us.........lol That is a cool story, making memories!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lucky...................lucky, We have frozen ground, rock hard, and have not had enough snow to even find a snow bank, to check out

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
its actually been in the 70s the last couple of days but I haven't been able to detect or do much of anything,,, kinda depressing but happy that you two finally found the plate

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a great story. Thanks for the smile. :-)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BWD- good old Brockton, we're fine just a LOT of snow, we have a wood stove, no worries here!
Ha! Brockton...home of my worst memories!:laughing7:
The Brockton Boxers vs Plymouth Carver Blue Eagles, never ended well for Plymouth, I got concussed all 3 times from getting plowed by the large men posing as High School students...You guys owned us.

Also, my buddy brings me to a gym to learn how to box.... Got knocked the F out by a kid younger and smaller than me. (I don't tell that story at parties)

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Illness- yep, wisdom of the aged...I mean ages! Lol! Under appreciated for sure!

Cooper1841- our ground is frozen tundra with close to 3 feet of snow on top, another inch Friday and 3 more inches Monday! Yeah!.....not! Imagination runs rampant at this point!

dirtlooter- he was really happy....but I'm still the family detecting nut! Lol!

Rodarian- anytime! What's a laugh if we can't share it!

BWD- Don't ya know it! Why do you think it's the largest high school east of the Mississippi! You probably went up against The marathon bomber's bother, I think he boxed here. Weird, I remember hearing the announcement of his championship win thinking there was something odd, and before that the naturalization aboard the Constitution, I remember thinking that's gonna bite them in the behind, it did.
I just hope that all who could, got to the beach after all the erosion and made finds!

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its actually been in the 70s the last couple of days but I haven't been able to detect or do much of anything,,, kinda depressing but happy that you two finally found the plate

Hope you get better soon Looter!

MS beeps nice work on the plate finding!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread