What I have been told is a RARE TOPOGRAPHICAL ENGINEER BIT BOSS!

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay, it has been awhile since I have posted other than these recent post. This relic has me excited because it was found to be a RARE relic. This one will be making American Digger! Butch was very excited about this Bit Boss and he even forwarded my information to a Mr. Charles Harris who replied back to me explaining the limited information on this hard to find relic from the Civil War. To say the least, I am very happy to have this fine piece in my collection of Civil War relics. What makes it even better, I found 46 sharp carbine bullets and a Eagle I Button with it. What a great day metal detecting! Please visit my YouTube page (Wes-N-VA) to see this amazing Civil War Relic Hunt. Between three of us about 100 bullets were found!

https://www.facebook.com/MidAtlanticRelicAndCoinHunters?ref=hl

Attachments

• Civil War 1-21-2015 020.JPG
    Civil War 1-21-2015 020.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 226
  • Civil War 1-21-2015 018.JPG
    Civil War 1-21-2015 018.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Civil War 1-21-2015 022.JPG
    Civil War 1-21-2015 022.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 20150123_104415 - Copy.jpg
    20150123_104415 - Copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 372
  • 20150123_104421.jpg
    20150123_104421.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
  • 20150123_104532.jpg
    20150123_104532.jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 20150123_104837.jpg
    20150123_104837.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 15

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks in great condition. As a non-facebook member, can you give us the expert info you are touching on. I know it must be pretty rare because its the first one I remember being posted on here, might be the only one?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great relic Wes! Let us know what else you find out about it. I hope people realize how nice that really is. Do you know just how rare these might be?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice save there Wes - congratulations! It sure cleaned up nice too.

CarolinaCurt

Jan 2, 2015
Pittsboro,NC
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC l l b, Nautilus l l , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find. Wish I could find one. Great save.

OP
OP
Wes-N-VA

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will cut and paste his email. I feel the same way, but it seems that the site has changed more to the coins? I thought people would have been a little more excited about this as I was and those who replied. Honestly, I think it is a banner worthy find but then again that is just my opinion. Thank you for your interest! Respectfully Wes

QUOTE=CRUSADER;4384356]Looks in great condition. As a non-facebook member, can you give us the expert info you are touching on. I know it must be pretty rare because its the first one I remember being posted on here, might be the only one?[/QUOTE]

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will cut and paste his email. I feel the same way, but it seems that the site has changed more to the coins? I thought people would have been a little more excited about this as I was and those who replied. Honestly, I think it is a banner worthy find but then again that is just my opinion. Thank you for your interest! Respectfully Wes

QUOTE=CRUSADER;4384356]Looks in great condition. As a non-facebook member, can you give us the expert info you are touching on. I know it must be pretty rare because its the first one I remember being posted on here, might be the only one?
[/QUOTE]

That would be great to see a link or two regarding this find, as I haven't or seen one either so reading up on it would be good. Congrats on the find and it could be a serious contender for a vote.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bit boss is pictured in Howard Crouch's book "Civil War Artifacts - A Guide for the Historian" on page 130 and the description says "the shield device on this specimen may denote the US Topographical Engineers".

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Bit Boss Wes!, and the pockets full of lead ain't bad either. When's the last time you found that many?
:thumbsup: As always you're pulling the "Best of the Best" of our great history out of hallowed ground.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds!

CarolinaCurt

Jan 2, 2015
Pittsboro,NC
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC l l b, Nautilus l l , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Wes, I was just looking in some of my collectors books and found a similar device in " Howard R. Crouch's, Civil War Artifacts, A Guide for the Historian" on page 130. The bit boss is identical to yours and Crouch also states that it may also be Topographical Engineers. I'm sorry I don't have more information,but at least its a start. HHing Curt

OP
OP
Wes-N-VA

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the reply I got in reference to the Bit Boss! Thank you!

Butch forwarded your photos of the bit boss down to me. I almost blew it by almost saying that I thought it to be after the Civil War, but ........... I searched my reference books and did find it in Howard Crouch's book, Horse Equipment of the Civil War Era. It is item 12 on page 112 of the book listed with the Horse Bit Bosses. He describes this particular shield as being of the U.S. Topographical Engineers. That in itself makes this boss scarce. The Topographical Engineers were the map makers.

They covered a lot of ground in their map creation. Quite often an area to be mapped was gridded off and each grid square was assigned to a different group of engineers, often tied in with the Cavalry or attached to them because of their mobility.. They would go out to that area and map in every feature in that square, roads, creeks, houses and barns, fields, orchards and woods. If it was required, actual contours would also be created on the map. When finished with their square, they returned to the headquarters and turned in their map section. Then all the sections were combined to make the final map of the assigned area. I found out this information a number of years ago when Jerry Wormsley, myself and a couple others were trying to figure out why Gen. Joe Wheeler's Cavalry were not down protecting the roads through Snake Creek Gap in north GA when the Yankee Army managed to get around the Confederate Army in Dalton/Resaca area. Gen. wheeler reported that he was out nw of Dalton doing mapping (which he wasn't).

Keep your powder dry,
Charlie Harris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

QUOTE=CRUSADER;4384356]Looks in great condition. As a non-facebook member, can you give us the expert info you are touching on. I know it must be pretty rare because its the first one I remember being posted on here, might be the only one?
Answering the coins comment;
I don't think its that simple, but if you think about it, most detectorists will at least own a coins book, & we all find coins, so its easy to relate to.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! That is really exciting! Must be a banner find for sure!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks in great condition. As a non-facebook member, can you give us the expert info you are touching on. I know it must be pretty rare because its the first one I remember being posted on here, might be the only one?

I agree Sending members to Facebook When you could post the details Here makes Me :(

By the way is this a Today's find ? (Within the last Week ?)

or a Best find (Found awhile ago & just sharing it now )

Or ?

I do remember a Bit Boss awhile ago .

By the way We don't banner Finds on Facebook or in Magazines :tongue3:
to even be considered here it would need to be posted here
with the whole story Here, Minus advertising :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the reply I got in reference to the Bit Boss! Thank you!

Butch forwarded your photos of the bit boss down to me. I almost blew it by almost saying that I thought it to be after the Civil War, but ........... I searched my reference books and did find it in Howard Crouch's book, Horse Equipment of the Civil War Era. It is item 12 on page 112 of the book listed with the Horse Bit Bosses. He describes this particular shield as being of the U.S. Topographical Engineers. That in itself makes this boss scarce. The Topographical Engineers were the map makers.

They covered a lot of ground in their map creation. Quite often an area to be mapped was gridded off and each grid square was assigned to a different group of engineers, often tied in with the Cavalry or attached to them because of their mobility.. They would go out to that area and map in every feature in that square, roads, creeks, houses and barns, fields, orchards and woods. If it was required, actual contours would also be created on the map. When finished with their square, they returned to the headquarters and turned in their map section. Then all the sections were combined to make the final map of the assigned area. I found out this information a number of years ago when Jerry Wormsley, myself and a couple others were trying to figure out why Gen. Joe Wheeler's Cavalry were not down protecting the roads through Snake Creek Gap in north GA when the Yankee Army managed to get around the Confederate Army in Dalton/Resaca area. Gen. wheeler reported that he was out nw of Dalton doing mapping (which he wasn't).

Keep your powder dry,
Charlie Harris

Cause they had all dug in fortifications over crow valley with stacked rock and natural terrain that were impenetrable after 3 days of attempts they abandoned the attack and the Union went around them and over snake creek. The topo guys did cover a lot of ground and the civil war atlas is full of their work. Unfortunately all confederate records were destroyed. Charlie Harris knows his stuff. He is the man! I would think their bit boss would be a rare find as well.

OP
OP
Wes-N-VA

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes it was found within a week.

QUOTE=jeff of pa;4384860]I agree Sending members to Facebook When you could post the details Here makes Me :(

By the way is this a Today's find ? (Within the last Week ?)

or a Best find (Found awhile ago & just sharing it now )

Or ?

I do remember a Bit Boss awhile ago .

By the way We don't banner Finds on Facebook or in Magazines :tongue3:
to even be considered here it would need to be posted here
with the whole story Here, Minus advertising :unhappysmiley:[/QUOTE]

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wes, I would think that these bit boss's would be a little more common. From Charlie Harris' comment about these engineers covering a lot of ground and so many of them it just seems strange that we don't see Topographic Engineer accoutrement pretty often or ever. I know that Charlie knows his stuff. Did he elaborate on how much Topo. Engineer stuff that he has seen over the years? I'm curious. I'll definitely have my eye open for it in the future.
Best of luck to Ya!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread