Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Checking Mullinax book the buckle appears to be rarity 9, only 6 to 15 known.

That's very cool, but I'm going to ask a question and possibly make myself look stupid. No disrespect at all is intended, by the way...

I've never found a buckle and don't know much about them. To my very untrained eye that looks like every other CS buckle I've ever seen on here. What makes it different?

OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
I have a farm east of Birmingham, Al. I spend each summer dredging for gold in Alaska. You are in Virginia and I dived a good bit in the James River there. I have been diving 51 years and relic hunting 42 years.

OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
Jeff, there are hundreds of different CS plates and they are all great finds. Steve Mullinax published the best CS buckle book. Most Southern soldiers didn't have a real issued belt buckle, I think most had a plain iron buckle off horse gear or a rope with a knot in in. The Confederate government was POOR financially.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very cool, but I'm going to ask a question and possibly make myself look stupid. No disrespect at all is intended, by the way...

I've never found a buckle and don't know much about them. To my very untrained eye that looks like every other CS buckle I've ever seen on here. What makes it different?
I am still learning myself. there are a few difference's, one being this style was solid cast,"not lead filled".I think there is a difference in the hooks,and the lettering may be more cruder too.It is a rare one.I mean they are all rare,I'll just say very rare:)

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a farm east of Birmingham, Al. I spend each summer dredging for gold in Alaska. You are in Virginia and I dived a good bit in the James River there. I have been diving 51 years and relic hunting 42 years.
I sure hope I can do what I love for that many years.You are living the dream.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful CS Belt Plate find Steve! :occasion14:

Best of luck to you in your search for gold in Nome this summer too!

Dave

OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
I will be getting to Nome the first week in June and staying four months. My son Spence will be with me for two months. His brother will have to run the dive store without him. Spence has been mining in Nome with me since 1993. We love it and find good gold now. The learning curve was hard but for those that hang in there long enough to learn the payoff is good.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be getting to Nome the first week in June and staying four months. My son Spence will be with me for two months. His brother will have to run the dive store without him. Spence has been mining in Nome with me since 1993. We love it and find good gold now. The learning curve was hard but for those that hang in there long enough to learn the payoff is good.
I have always wanted to get into gold prospecting.Looks like allot of fun and like you said once you get past that learning curve can be very profitable.I just live in the wrong place for it.There was a small mine in the next county over many many years ago.I take it they must not have found allot there because it has been out of commission for a very long time.I wish the best of luck to you guys on your adventure.If you can find gold like you find C.S. plates,my goodness gracious:treasurechest:-HH friend

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OUTSTANDING!!! THIS WILL BE ON TOP IN NO TIME! BANNER WORTHY HANDS DOWN!!! A CS BRECKENRIDGE IN AS RARE AS THEY COME! CONGRATS ! THE FACT IT IS YOUR ELEVENTH CS PLATE IS JUST MIND BLOWING!!! DEVONREX

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Can't wait to find some old relics! Nice find..

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Def, Living the Good Life IMO.
I know it took / takes a-lot of time $ but the end result looks Great.

If I had the Funds I'd love to get into water hunting Someday.
Good Luck this year in Alaska.
Davers

Also love your Relic Room & great Family history on that Gun.
Saving & Telling history is what it's all about.

Last edited:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great find!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a great find!

Nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Steve, that's a pretty plate you found. I'm interested in the trip you spoke of on this post, but won't be able to take advantage of it before next year. I retire from the military this year and will be waiting on the VA claim to kick in before I'll be able to do much of anything. So if you need some help next year I'll be here ;)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHat a Whooper find! I would clean off the crud though. Even if you have to have it done professionally Great Great Plate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread