Anyone here handy with military serial # geneology? Chunky silver military bracelet:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Found at Ft. Ord CA. Fat chunky silver bracelet. I've determined that the 8 digit # would be for someone post WWII yet pre-vietnam era, right ? It was till towards the end of Vietnam era (late '60s/early '70s), that the different branches of the military stopped using 8 digit #s, and use Soc. Sec. #'s instead. Right ?

Name = "Robt. L. Hugo"

Inside inscribed: "U.S. 56- 053- 774" "Type O "

2015_02_17_14.26.14.jpg

2015_02_17_14.26.29.jpg

I've navigated around the National Archives & Records Administration website, but .... am not able to figure out how to get any more info on this guy. Does anyone here know how to crack a serial #, so I can possibly track this fellow down ? Thanx.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
yeah, it might look "plated", but it's not. It's just d/t it hasn't been cleaned yet. But clearly it is solid sterling.

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

I've got a name and # for you to try and call to see if this is in fact the gentleman who has misplaced this bracelet... It's worth a try....
Bob Hugo Phone: (570) 265-6615 based out of PA....

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MD'er-StEvO: Before I make the call, please tell me what method/how you came up with that. So I'm a little more versed on the origin of that data. Thanx !

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
well Steve, I think I can "nix" that right now. The particular fellow you've found, can't be much over 50-ish years. old. His picture is right on his company's website, and he's simply not old enough to have been in the military pre 1970-ish.

TERRY-NAMVET

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2012
Miamisburg Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle ll SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The U S in the serial number means he was drafted, Enlisted has an RA in the number.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've taken a stab at it from a genealogy standpoint - there are several on Ancestry that could be him, but without being able to match the number, it's anybody's guess. They don't go too far into the modern era because of privacy concerns. I'm not sure if Fold3 would cover that era, I don't have a subscription and have only used it for Civil War. Could you email your picture to the local VA and see if they would help? Even if they won't give you his info, they might be willing to contact him (or his next of kin) with YOUR info.

Kudos to you for trying to track him down!! Let us know how it turns out!

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
thanx Don. I already got that date range (post wwII to somewhere near the start of Vietnam). However, I did not get that it was distinctly air force. Ie.: as opposed to army, navy, etc... So where are you seeing that ? Got a link ?

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,

I've got a name and # for you to try and call to see if this is in fact the gentleman who has misplaced this bracelet... It's worth a try....
Bob Hugo Phone: (570) 265-6615 based out of PA....
==============================================

You should really NOT put info like this anywhere on the web. This info,,, along with the info on the bracelet could result in a real identity crisis for this man.

Just my opinion OK

Hit

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
thanx crusader. I'll give that a try later today.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The U S in the serial number means he was drafted, Enlisted has an RA in the number.

Anyone drafted would more then likely also served as enlisted, Do you mean the RA designates joining the service voluntarily?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread