cattle branding iron ?

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this yesterday at an old school that I have recovered lots of pieces that appear to be from a former ranch. I believe it is a branding iron with the handle broken off. Any info or comments appreciated. 4 1/4" wide X 4" high. Possibly a W formed from 2 anchors?
Found about six inches deep along with two cinch rings and a harness buckle in the same hole.
Good Luck & HH

finds 020.jpg finds 021.jpg

I believe the first photo is the front and the second the back.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't look like a branding iron to me. Maybe a piece of decorative iron or piece of an iron fence or something. Maybe even something off of a piece of farm equipment??? :dontknow:

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure that's a cattle brand but there is a Texas registry where you can look up past and present brands. Let us know what you discover-- as a native Texan I'm always interested.

Here's the site: Brand Search

OP
OP
J

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like a branding iron to me. Maybe a piece of decorative iron or piece of an iron fence or something. Maybe even something off of a piece of farm equipment??? :dontknow:

That is what I thought at first, but after inspecting it the letter edges are tapered from the front and where it was attached to whatever is lower than the letter or anchors and the back is flat.
Thanks for the reply, Travis

OP
OP
J

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure that's a cattle brand but there is a Texas registry where you can look up past and present brands. Let us know what you discover-- as a native Texan I'm always interested.

Here's the site: Brand Search

I have been unable to locate any brand image like it but I appreciate the reply.
Thanks, Travis

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As a Texan...

<-----With a brand registered in 14 counties....

That is most definitely not a hot iron.

Id say its just a broke piece off an old wrought iron sewing machine table, fire screen, bakers rack or any of the various other common ranchhouse fixtures of old.

~Tejaas~

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Plus, you can see that your wrought iron you found was a continuous pattern.

Last edited:

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
That is what I thought at first, but after inspecting it the letter edges are tapered from the front and where it was attached to whatever is lower than the letter or anchors and the back is flat.
Thanks for the reply, Travis

I've seen a lot of brands and I have never seen one that used flat iron like that. Plus you can kinda see where it appears to be broke off of something. I guess it's still possible. But a brand with that much surface area would be very uncommon.

Most brands look like this:
branding iron.jpg

Some of the older ones used round steel like this:
old branding iron.jpg

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen a lot of brands and I have never seen one that used flat iron like that. Plus you can kinda see where it appears to be broke off of something. I guess it's still possible. But a brand with that much surface area would be very uncommon.

I was trying to type out something like this, but couldn't word it in a way that suited me.

Well said, Skunkaha... too much surface area is bad for the stock... Flies and infection run rampant if given a chance. Thinner iron = less trauma and a quicker heal.

A closed design like that, made of wide bar stock, on a 4" iron (down here thats a calf iron) thats just bad business... And a blotched brand ain't good for the livestock, the rancher, or in a county court. And stock inspectors don't mess around.

Back when they didn't have squeeze chutes quite like we got now, open brands of 6" or so became the unspoken standard for beeves and horses. Getting a good iron mark on smaller stock like pigs, sheep and goats is largely unpopular now, most are in favor of inkspotting, ear notching, or tags.

Times have changed though, and nowadays with technology like CNC and cold irons, there is a lot more forgiveness when it comes to smaller, more intricate brands.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to be ash shaker from an old stove.vanzutphen

OP
OP
J

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Good Luck & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread