A 104-Year-Old Bottle of Barbecue Sauce and The War is Over!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got my truck uncovered from all the snow and was able to get back to searching through this week's boxes/bags of house clean-out junk. Found two crisp newspapers from both VE-Day and VJ-Day.

Also found a most unusual item - a bottle of "Eddys Brand Old English Style Sauce". The paper label is just a sack wrapped around the glass bottle, it has a glass cork stopper, and it is still half full with product (it even smells good). Its fluid ounce content is hand written in some kind of black crayon.

The only reference I can find of this product online is from an old recipe written in 1911 listing Eddys Brand Sauce as one of the ingredients. Judging by its primitive look my bet is that this bottle is from before 1911. (Anyone dare me to try some? :laughing7: )

DSC08992.JPG
DSC08993.JPG
DSC08994.JPG
The war's over in Europe and Japan too! Two WWII newspapers:
DSC08983.JPG DSC08984.JPG
A Macy's Ad calling for the fight to continue:
DSC08987.JPG
From the Jap paper: Soviet Union continues invasion of Manchuria after Jap surrender (and American super fortresses keep bombing Japan).
DSC08986.JPG
First report of the sinking of the Indianapolis. Many of the sailors survived the sinking only later to be eaten by sharks as they drifted in the Pacific. This
DSC08985.JPG

Upvote 6

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool! So the BBQ sauce still tastes good? How good? Maybe you could have it broken down and see what ingredients are in it and make a new style sauce out of it!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I don't think I want to taste this sauce even though it still smells good. :laughing7: I don't know what a century of time does to food chemically - it might be extremely poisonous now. I'm just trying to figure out why someone would keep this food for so long, they must have been the world's first hoarders.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
have your neighbor over for a burger

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an old pic of a delivery truck with the company logo on the side. The photo is from the Wisconsin Historical Society, circa 1936.

Description: An International truck owned by E. Pritchard, Inc. makes a delivery to a loading dock at the company warehouse on a city street. The truck advertises Pride of the Farm tomato catsup and Eddys Old English Style Sauce.

Pride of the Farm Truck | Photograph | Wisconsin Historical Society

Attachments

• 0305011704-l.jpg
    0305011704-l.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 106

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool find that BBQ sauce is. Give it a try, just be close to the john. :tongue3:
I think McDonald's fries last 100 years too without going stale. :icon_scratch:
Cool post,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread