Finally! The ground thaws.. time to dig relics with the GPZ 7000! :)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a rough couple of weeks. Cold, nasty weather combined with frozen or snow covered ground has been around for way too long. Waaaayyyy too long when I’ve been looking at a shiny new Minelab GPZ 7000 setting there, ready to find some relics. Just when you think the weather would break we would get another round of nasty cold that would keep the PA tundra, er.. I mean ground.. frozen solid to nearly a foot deep. Even my winter spots in Virginia were effected… snow depths not normally seen in Virginia kept me out of the camps for way too long.

Until yesterday! The cold started to break a bit last week, and a warm weekend started to thaw the ground and melt the snow down south. So off I went to the nasty red sticky muddy fields of Culpeper Virginia in search of Civil War relics.

Well folks, I can definitely say that the GPZ 7000 is significantly deeper on bullets than the GPX series detectors. In yesterday's less than full day of testing in the Culpeper, VA area we hit a few well pounded spots and scared out a few relics. My friend Jason was along with his GPX 5000 so we could compare signals, and the result was surprising. The whisper soft bullet tones on the GPX (with 15x12 DD coil) were strong signals on the GPZ. In comparison testing think we could easily say there is a 4-5" gain on bullets with the GPZ - maybe more! Unfortunately neither of us found any brass to speak of to see its response on buttons, but the lack of them under the coil isn't surprising considering the history of our finds at those spots in the past. Of course, the tough part is dealing with no discrimination and determining which signals are desirable and which ones should be ignored. That will definitely take some time but should be doable, especially by someone with extensive GPX experience.

At the end of the day, I didn't have a huge collection of relics, but for the few hours I was able to hunt the GPZ 7000 and GPX 5000 were running stride for stride on finds. That I think is success considering the need to learn to identify the signals without discrimination built into the detector.

The true test will be in less that two weeks at Diggin' In Virginia.... lets find us some huts and trash pits! Then after that... I just might have to find a gold field. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8143.JPG
    IMG_8143.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Upvote 5

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt!, that's a nice amount of lead, now that is a goal of mine for this year, I want a freakin 3 ringer in the worst way!
good luck in Virginia!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got that baby out Keith. Nice to get a little time with it before the DIV.

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Glad you had a chance to get out, I'm still waiting here in frozen New England. Best of luck Keith

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt!, that's a nice amount of lead, now that is a goal of mine for this year, I want a freakin 3 ringer in the worst way!
good luck in Virginia!

I'll let you hold mine next time, lol.

Great way to start the season. Nice amount of lead from a hunted site. A 4-5 inch increase will turn any spot into a new site for you...that is very cool!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you finally made it out Keith. Good luck at DIV.

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Its definitely a different animal in one big way vs the GPX because of the lack of iron ID. But the massive depth increase sure shows a lot of potential.... only time will tell for sure. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread