A very significant find, though it was the first time I ever reburied a find.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out at a colonial site, some woods and such, I got a nice signal in a thawed area. It showed up at around 90-95. I quickly think i see a huge silver coin, I grab it too light weight. I quickly release that it is a WWI dog tag!! I'm thrilled. I quickly see another smaller one in the dirt. So far it is an incredible find. I than start seeing a lot of ornate cast iron, a little silver plated tiny thing and other pieces of iron. All of it was only four inches down. I remember that this place is near a church, there is also cemetery close by, not sure if that is related though. I buried it right where I found it after some photos, I started to wonder if it was something a little more than some dog tags, it seemed to me like an urn/burial. I figured that for now it was best to put it back for respect.

Anyways, What do you think, just some dog tags or a burial?
IMG_20150327_174618.jpg IMG_20150327_174626.jpg IMG_20150327_174632.jpg IMG_20150327_174638.jpg IMG_20150327_174427.jpg IMG_20150327_174444.jpg

Thanks for Looking, Coinman123,

Upvote 11

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hard to say, but I think you did the rite thing. When in dought, go with your gut. You will probably sleep better because of it.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found the guy, he lived close by. I can say that it is most likely not an urn, the iron may be from a trash pile a few feet away (bottom of iron beer can in there), the owner died in 1978 he has his name on a veterans memorial in my town.

His name is is Wilfred F. Culley, born 1894, died 1978. Any help finding his grandchildren or other relatives for a nice return. Anyways, Thanks.

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This web site my give you the info you need. If not you my be able to locate the cemetery and contact them for the relatives names. My wife works part time for a local cemetery that was started before the CW. They use this site a lot to locate people for genealogy searches. Hope this helps. Let us know the outcome.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason the URL didn't copy. It is Find a grave .com

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think they were in an urn. you likely would have found the urn itself or the tag that goes in them. the former owner likely lost them or they were tossed out. if it were me I would go back and get them. I would do my best to contact any family members and see if they want them. they may actually not as well. even if you can't find a relative today does not mean one might pop up 10 years from now. if it were me, and if you can't find them soon I would display them in my case and try to do a little write up on the man's life. at least some people would get to see them. neat find. not everyday to find WWI dog tags.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not think they were in an urn. you likely would have found the urn itself or the tag that goes in them. the former owner likely lost them or they were tossed out. if it were me I would go back and get them. I would do my best to contact any family members and see if they want them. they may actually not as well. even if you can't find a relative today does not mean one might pop up 10 years from now. if it were me, and if you can't find them soon I would display them in my case and try to do a little write up on the man's life. at least some people would get to see them. neat find. not everyday to find WWI dog tags.

Thanks, I'm getting a display case made for it. Going next morning to get it, now that I know it is not a burial. There is a nice plaque with his name too in my town. I marked the area so I know where it is to retrieve them, right of a small main trail.

Think of putting it on loan with some other finds at town historical society.

Last edited:

garyo1954

Jan 4, 2013
Elkhart, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a vet, and seeing people honor the sacrifice made, always moves me.
I can't imagine any family who would not want to have these.

I would search the phone records in my town and look up the obit and even talk to the American Legion and VFW posts about this guy.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and Great intentions, I admire your integrity! You're a great ambassador of our hobby!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys and thanks very much the Hbeaton who found what could be his family. I will get in contact with his family ASAP

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Here's a random thought. Your find might be the result of a burglary committed by some heartless scumbag. I have heard of burglaries where an Urn was stolen for its precious metal content, only to be melted down somewhere and taken to the local Cash for Gold store. Any personal items in it would have been dumped out in the woods somewhere by the thief, since they are hard evidence if they have a name on them. Just a random thought about how personal effects like these could end up in a strange place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread