Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these during my 10 minute visit to the dump today. A 190-year-old silver spoon and a neat hat badge. Edit: Just confirmed the hat badge is from 1920's-1930's US Coast Guard, and it may be silver! Oh yea! :D
DSC09035.JPG

Initially thought I was just bringing home junk but something about the spoon intrigued me. Did some research on the spoon's hallmarks and discovered it is of Swedish origin - as indicated by the three crowns in the clover stamp. Also discovered that the "T3" mark is a letter-number date stamp. Looked up Swedish date stamp and boom - T3 = 1825! Same year John Quincy Adams became president! Wow! From my research I've concluded this spoon is made of .830 silver, which was the standard silver purity of Swedish silver at the time. It weighs 19.3 grams. Oh yea!
DSC09031.JPG DSC09026.JPG
Date marks.jpg Swede spoon.jpg

As for the hat badge, I have no ideas. Edit: It is 1920-1930's US Coast Guard hat badge. It may be gilded sterling but it has no marks to confirm this. It however is tarnished black on the back of the anchor which may mean it is silver. Either way I am happy. :D
DSC09034.JPG DSC09033.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 5

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that spoon!, about what 20 quarters worth of silver? (wild guess of course)

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds bud! :occasion14:
The silver spoon certainly has a 'European' look to it and the Eagle Badge is very interesting.

Dave

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Maybe a naval piece judging by the fouled anchor? Nice.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves!!

I got a silver spoon today, not half as nice as yours and I had to dig mine out of the ground. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread