Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently secured permission to hunt a yard where an extensive archaeological dig took place almost 25 years ago, and they were there for almost 10 years. I've seen aerial views of the dig area, and was told by the owner there was a small backhoe on site for 9 years. So they apparently dug the heck out of the place. The location was the site of a late 1600s to early 1700s home, and a tremendous number of artifacts were recovered, some of which are in the local museum. The owner had been given many boxes of artifacts that included bag upon bag of broken, rusty nails, small pottery shards, etc. I figured the area of the dig would be nothing but clean, sifted dirt so I initially opted to hunt the surrounding areas. But I didn't find much until I actually started approaching the dig area. But that area had a tremendous amount of iron and a number of targets started showing up which didn't make any sense. Maybe these were items that somehow slipped through the sifter although some were obviously too big. I didn't make any outstanding finds, but the potential was certainly there. I dug mostly a few small buttons, buckle parts, melted lead and pewter, and a couple of thimbles, but the best find was an 1857 flying eagle cent. I've dug a few of these over the years, and they're usually almost always unrecognizable. But this one had pretty nice detail and a clear date - 1857. I still have a little more area to cover, and I'm not too excited about my prospects, but you just never know what might pop out next.

Attachments

• 040115a.jpg
    040115a.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 040115b.jpg
    040115b.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an awesome eagle cent. Congrats on the rare find, and even rarer good condition!

Steve

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, the eagle cent...I'm still searching. Looks awesome!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool coin bud. Seems as though there's always a lot left by the archies. I guess when you're throwing that much soul around it's likely they don't get every bit into the sifter. Hope you find something great there. Now that would be an accomplishment

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
That site deffinitely isnt hunted out thats for sure. Nice finds Bill, a cut piece is waiting for you in there.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sharp Flying Eagle, Bill. Maybe its not be a huge thrill when you were aiming for earlier finds, but still is nice as those FEs don't turn up often. I'm just curious about one thing: When such extensive searching was previously done by others, what prompted you to try your turn there? Did you have a sense that they had missed something?

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. Maybe that was one of the things that fell out of the scope when they were moving the dirt around.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Eagle cent! Congratulations on all of your finds!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Flying Eagle Cent is one of the toughest U.S. type coins to dig up - It's definitely on my bucket list ! Congratulations !

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds again bill, that FLE is awesome

congrats!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one sharp Flying Eagle, Bill. Maybe its not be a huge thrill when you were aiming for earlier finds, but still is nice as those FEs don't turn up often. I'm just curious about one thing: When such extensive searching was previously done by others, what prompted you to try your turn there? Did you have a sense that they had missed something?

Steve - the ground was only disturbed (to the best of my knowledge) over about 1/3 of the owner's large back yard. So there could easily be some finds to be made outside that area since the archaeologists generally do not use detectors around a dig site (not sure why?). Plus, that whole area was a cultivated field until about 1980 so artifacts have not had the time to sink beyond detection range which is a fairly common phenomena in yards around here, especially with the sandy soil. Some of the finds I made in the previously undisturbed soil were only 2-3" deep so there was definitely the possibility a nice find would be within reach of my F75, particularly when using the boost process. I have one more area to go over, and hopefully I can get lucky with a piece of early silver or a nice ornate buckle. Or maybe another trash pit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread