Last 3 hunts: Civil War and finally a silver coin

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a least 12 hunts without finding a silver coin and I have been almost going crazy because of this. I have been detecting twice a week. Generally one long hunt, and one 2-3 hour one.

I went out last Thursday with a couple of people to this field where there were Union soldiers moving through the area. Just prior to the hunt I was talking with one of the club members how I have never found a CW button other than a general service and how I would like to find an Infantry one. We also spoke about our time in the military and I was explaining the finer points of field artillery and my experiences in a gun battery and as a forward observer. Around 15 minutes later I found a brass leather rivet that I gave to one of his grandsons and about 15 minutes later I found this artillery "A" button. I think up to this point only general service and infantry buttons have been found here. Very fitting considering the talk earlier. The second rivet and buck was found a few hours later. Tough day to say the least.

I plan to donate all the CW related items (buttons and bullets) to the museum just down the road. Perhaps I can get more leads and information on that field.

P1010436.JPG ....................................... P1010437.JPG

On the way home from the hunt last Thursday, I noticed some lots where some houses had been razed. I have been eyeing those houses for a few months. I got out and asked a business owner about those houses and the lots and he told me the highway department had declared "eminent domain" and there wasn't anyone really to ask. It sounded good to me and this past Monday I got with a friend of mine and we detected them. We didn't find anything after 3 hours, but some clad. I was out of leads, so I told him to follow me to an old, (little dangerous) area and I will find some houses. The first house I went to, they gave me permission on their home and the other two homes next to theirs. After 2 more hours of detecting I only found this older Jefferson and Buffalo nickel. My friend found 6 wheats in one general area. I was targeting the higher signals on my Deus or the ones that were 4 inches or deeper because of all the aluminum and zinc pennies I was hitting. Both nickels were about 7 inches deep.

First time I could clearly make out the date on a Buffalo that I dug:

P1010433.JPG ......................... P1010434.JPG

My body was screaming to take a day off from detecting and I had a sunburn from Monday, but I was talked back into another round. Tuesday started out quickly with a small silver ring with a turtle on it at the same lot we had permission on from Monday (I don't have a picture cause my daughter confiscated it). About an hour later I was getting a bouncy signal in the 92 readings and I then dug my first Kennedy half. I went back over the spot and about a foot over I found the second. Neat to find not only a Kennedy half, but a spill of them.

The dime was dug at the very last house that I had permission at. So after 6 houses, 1 lot and about 400 feet of sidewalk, I finally ended my silver drought and it was the oldest Mercury dime I have dug. I started the year off strong by finding a silver almost every hunt and I had to fight hard to break the drought this time.

P1010430.JPG ........... P1010431.JPG .............. P1010432.JPG

Oh, on the way up to the house where I dug the silver dime, I dug this .58 caliber mini ball. I suspect it had been fired. It was fairly deep and found about a foot from the sidewalk. This one will go to the historical society. Amazing that I spent 6 hours last week at a field that has known activity and then I find this ball just off a sidewalk in 3 feet of easement.

P1010435.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 7

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job. You are doing well and better than I. Took forever to get rid of the snow then nothing but mud with no way to park in normal hunting areas. Still no silver or gold this year. New machine this year so leys hope I can end the drought like you did.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job. You are doing well and better than I. Took forever to get rid of the snow then nothing but mud with no way to park in normal hunting areas. Still no silver or gold this year. New machine this year so leys hope I can end the drought like you did.

We are so muddy that I forgot how hard the ground gets during the Summer. I don't think I've had 1 in 3 hunts this year where my equipment wasn't covered in mud.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, and cool that you are going to donate some to the local museum. That's a great way to promote the hobby and get more ground. Congrats on breaking the silver slump, it can be depressing sometimes haha!

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, and cool that you are going to donate some to the local museum. That's a great way to promote the hobby and get more ground. Congrats on breaking the silver slump, it can be depressing sometimes haha!

Doesn't do me a bit of good sitting in my box. I get a better reward knowing items I've found are sitting in a case somewhere for other's to enjoy. I think if I was super rich, I would build a library or something to that affect.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds!, 1916 s, man how cool would've it been for 1916d, now that would be a way to end a drought!

great finds!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds PM. Good to see you getting the treasure! GL&HH.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

Top Member Reactions