Strange Find

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well I searched a county park this afternoon and came across 10 Mexican 50 cent pieces all wrapped with a piece of scotch tape with a letter written on them. Then to top it off I found a penny with a tape and a printed "59" on it.
The Mexican coins are from the 70'sThe penny is 1983. A real head scratcher. Anyone else ever find coins wrapped in tape? At least I'm ready for Cinco De Mayo

Attachments

• 20150418_173419.jpg
    20150418_173419.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 3

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I've seen coins taped together was at college. As a public Safety Officer we would get calls concerning people locked in their rooms. Upon arrival we inspect the door and find that the kids would push against the door from the outside. A gap would form as the door was pushed and they would put, usually pennies, taped together in the gap. When the person inside tries to open the door, it is jammed from the pressure and appears to be locked. On a weekend, you could walk away with a couple dollars in change.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
My granny used to make us kids " money cakes" on our birthdays and such. Throughout the cake would be little packages of coins or a single coin wrapped in foil or cellophane ; the little packages would go into the cake after baking and before icing, when the candles got blown out and the cake cut up,each kid might be lucky enough to get a little surprise in theirs. This went by the wayside when my brother swallowed three nickels and I chipped a tooth on a quarter on separate occasions!

I know she meant well and it was fun, but painful too lol

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very strange, I would have no clue. But great eye on finding em.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea - did you eyeball these or were they hidden under turf or sand ? and were they found in Florida ?

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran across someone's seeded hunt preparations maybe? Could be you beat the club to the goodies.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's possible there may still be a couple more coins there (?) if so, this could be a modern take on the Thirteen Gold Coins ritual some Mexican or Latin families may practice at their wedding..... Arras - Thirteen gold coins
The groom gives the bride thirteen gold coins blessed by the priest. The 13 coins represent the Christ and his 12 apostles. The Arras is given to the bride as a symbol of the unquestionable trust and confidence the groom has in her.
Most often, he presents them in an ornate box, a silver or gold jewelry box, or on a siver or gold gift tray.
Doing so, he also pledges to be a good provider and to support and care for his bride as she becomes his wife.
By accepting thes arras, the bride pronounces her unconditional trust and confidence in her groom.
These coins become a part of their family heirloom.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran across someone's seeded hunt preparations maybe? Could be you beat the club to the goodies.
My club does the same thing. Tape numbers to coins and buries them for seeded hunts .. Then the numbers are turned in for prizes. Could of been an old seeded hunt field or place and those were never found.

OP
OP
JC Florida

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
They were a couple of inches under the turf. The park is in Seminole County Florida. (Central)

OP
OP
JC Florida

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
That would make sense.

OP
OP
JC Florida

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
These look like they've been there a while. They were all dated in the 1970's. I'd hate to think I was poaching on a club's seeded hunt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say a old seeded hunt. Those are like raffle prizes, ie. ticket numbers, drawn at the end or each number has a prize.

OP
OP
JC Florida

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
I have no idea - did you eyeball these or were they hidden under turf or sand ? and were they found in Florida ?

Central Florida park in Seminole county. between 1 and 3 inch's under the turf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread