Tired of digging pennies.....

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
WooHoo....I finally got a real detector, although I have a lot to learn. Took the XLT out to the park where I had been detecting and found 2 rings (costume), $7.73 in clad, 2 keys, a hotwheel car and lifegueard's whistle. Most of this came from areas I had previously gone over.
I remember reading a post (I think Free wrote it) where someone got tired of digging pennies out of one hole and quit...I thought no way would I quit, but today I did get tired of it, someone must've thrown a whole roll of pennies and scattered them in a small area where they were about an inch down. Of course had I had more time to hunt I might not've quit on them, I'll definately go back and finish them off.

Upvote 1
S

SonjaMarie

Right now I'd be happy to find pennies! My machine can't seem to decide what I've found and how deep it is. Sigh.

Sonja Marie

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My machine indicates that it is either a clad penny or a dime. 99% of the time it's a penny. It also gives the depth but I am not sure it is very accurate. I can tell most of the time when it's a penny because a dime gives a double beep whereas a penny usually just beeps once.l

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found aan area 2 ft square and took 32 pennies from it all were new :( from 2003-1985

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yep! Gotta dig all those targets. Even the pennies. SonjaMArir. Don't be discouraged. Keep detecting & it will all come to you over a period of time. Are you hunting in places that a lot of people go? Spotz

D

Darod

You gotta get them. But, your right, tomorrows another day. Great work.

Rod

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
I felt the same way about digging pennies but since i reinvest my finds into silver coins i need for my collection i don't mind.plus on my MXT sometimes that zinc penny is an indian head so keep it up!

bigrig

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
That's one thing about not having a meter, get a coin like signal, down I go, up it comes. Found that sometimes a coin on edge will only sound in one direction, or a double signal might be multi-coins or even a ring laying flat.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, clean 'em out and see what's left! Happy hunting, though I thought I was the mem cent master...

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get tired of digging the Zincs but not the wheaties. Still havent found an IH yet, but i will. 8)

J

Jim Cal

Good job!! Not only do pennies add up but every good target you recover puts you that much closer to your next big find. I love digging any good target from toy cars, coins, tokens, and all of the other misc stuff you find buried. Jim Cal

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Heres one for ya. I did the same thing found a samll area in a Really old park where awesome founds were made and came to a spot where I dug 48 pennys ah but they were wheaties. That helps out a little. Im still lokking for those other 2 convinced that a roll must have dropped here.

When I found my stash I vowed to no,longer 'dig pennies in the park' I thought I will just dig caches. I know what conditions to find them in and will simply recreate the circumstances surrounding my find.

Back at the park hopeing for pennys again... To be continued...

C

Copper

mvSWAT said:
someone must've thrown a whole roll of pennies and scattered them in a small area where they were about an inch down.

Nice story.

The pennies most likely got there because of a penny hunt. Churches used to put a pile of sawdust on the ground and fill it with coins. The little kids would dive in and find as many as they could.

I once found a very large gold ring in the middle of one of these penny plots. I later found the owner and returned it. He was a deacon in that church and had lost his ring the day of the church picnic. Evidently his ring fell off when he was dumping out the sawdust.

Good hunting.

Copper P.S. And you're right, it's much better to hunt with a good detector.

treasurebum1

Jan 12, 2005
flora ms.
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gti2500 whites vision
;) THOSE NEW PENNIES ADD UP CAN ALWAYS BUY MORE BATTIERS WITH THEM GREAT HUNTIN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread