Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The house was torn down last week. I don't know how old it was but I remember it being there when I was a small child. I would guess the house was built in the 1930's or 1920's. Thought sure I would find silver today but no such luck. I found 2 wheaties and 9 clad pennies and a mill from where a sidewalk was taken out. The mill is so corroded you wouldn't know what it was unless you had seen some. They date back to WWII. Also found the hood ornament from a 1952 Mercury and later found 5 glass marbles laying loose in the dirt. Two of the marbles were catseyes and the other three just plain old marbles of various colors. I'm not sure where on the property would be the best place to search. I searched what would have been the front yard mostly as the dirt seemed to have been pushed forward onto that area. Didn't find anything where the house itself would have sat ie: under the foundation. Spent about 4 hours at it and still no silver. The folks that lived in this area were poor as a church mouse anyway and I doubt if they ever had much silver to begin with!

Upvote 0

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
dude the silver is heavier than the clad,so they'll be a little deeper,go at it slower.
Most of my coins depending on the size of the house was in todd places.I have found more coins along the side yards of houses.also dude go under any bushes.I hunted one yard and found squat when I got on my knees and went under the bushes I dug some indian heads and silver.Go give it another try dude.good luck.

K

Kentucky Kache

Tree stumps are good places to look. Also, if there are any fence rows, look for signs of post holes.

J

Jim Cal

A house that old I try to determine where the driveway was since pulling keys in and out of pockets caused many coins to be dropped. Also around any large trees, where the clothesline would have been, flower beds, along the curb parkway if there was one, out buildings, etc. I'm sure the stuff is there with a house that age. Good hunting! Jim Cal

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Rmember too Jim that the soil is pushed forward or to the front so the deeper stuff is now accessable in the back. Also a lot of poeple here like parking in the back yard(well you remember the Code Enf. days). Just a thought.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
You're on the right track. You know the silver is there someplace. Hit it again & think posative. Work a series of small tight grids. You never know. Spotz

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Also Jim, overlap your coil swing by half and take at least 1 1/2 sec. per sweep. Less chance of missing something small.

D

Darod

I don't know if your able to do this, or if the ground is level enough, but I would take some stakes with me and string. Make a grid out of the entire area if it's not too big. Break it up into sections and then work each section really hard. Don't be afraid to make adjustments on your machine if your not getting any hits. Maybe if you can built the grid like this, you won't miss anything. Good luck. Take all the time you can on it.

Good luck again!

Rod

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Town house's would always be good coin shooting. But country homes there's something else one should remember! Before 1920 before auto's were the thing, many people when they went to town would put on there Sunday go to meeting clothes and take the off when they returned home, thus laying up there coin inside till next time they went to town. My home was built around 1840--50, I've really been over the ground and haven't found any old coins past i920, no silver. I even cut a 4' by 4' section out of the front yard about 6'' deep to check deeper, and still nothing. so some of these old houses are small on coin finds. However not in every case, some of the larger farmers may have had yard partys. Its just a facter to consider. Most farmers didn't slop hogs carrying coin on them in the old days. And the kids had piggy banks. So there you have my feelings for what there worth. :(

K

Kentucky Kache

If I lived in a 19th century house, I would want to find the old garbage dumps. No telling what you might dig.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Cal is right on, check the drive way.
Also see if you can locate any old clothsline location. I have found many coins under those spots!

There has to be at least one silver in that yard somewhere 8)

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Thanks for your input on my old yard fokes. I'm aware of what you say. Like I have shot for coins for yrs. I've been over the yard many times. There eather very deep or nothing there? Anyway for the return verses time spent looking. I'd do better most anywhere else. However I dont do that much coin shooting anymore.I've turned more to cache hunting. The payout is better for time spent, if you got a great lead to start with. If one wants to get above looking for nickels and dimes, one has to get with it and go for the gold cache. talk to people about people they've known that may have buried money, Your likely to pick up on a family history to a cache thats not general knowledge, Research and your on your way. Monk

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down one side of the property there is a rock wall where I got some real hot signals and found most of the marbles. I think I'll put on my 4" coil and work it real good next time. The bottom of the wall has a concrete base with rebars that tend to interfere with mt signal. It's showing 6" with the 9" coil but most of the time nothing there. I think I need better seperation and to go a little deeper. The ddriveways were just dirt with a little gravel, no garage. So many small car parts I had a problem sorting things out. Found brass tubing, bolts and rings (washers) and misc parts. Found one part too big to dig out without a shovel, apears to be a body panel or fender. I'm ot sure what they're gooing to do with the property, it's not very level and lots of mounds of piled up loose debris.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread