Anybody seen this Token before

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not gonna bore you with the rest of my finds from today. This is the interesting one.
IMG_0837.JPG
If you know anything about " Bradley& Tallman Opera House " i'd appreciate some info...
Found in Fort Smith, Ar.
Im thinking late 1800's or very early 1900's
as you can see it's really toasted..about as thick as 2 paper plates stuck together

Attachments

• Token.jpg
    Token.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Upvote 4

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good token!, looks like it was on the verge of being unrecognizable, im interested in what it turns out to be from

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah the other side is totaled....shows a little difference when wet; but nothing recognizable

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the token. Someone on this site will be able to ID it for you. There are a lot of knowledgeable members on this site.

Last edited:

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
What I'm about to say is a real reach but it's a possibility.... after some internet sleuthing I have come up with the following theory.

Van Buren, AR is about a 10 minute drive from Fort Smith just over the Arkansas River and in the bustling metropolis of Van Buren there is a very rich history. A part of that history revolves around a building on 415 Main Street that was constructed in 1891 and was known as Wallace Block. A man by the name of H.P. King buys the property in 1898, closes and remodels the building and reopens as an opera house in 1901. By 1905 the opera house undergoes more renovation to expand and add a balcony. Meanwhile, literally a spit up the road is 402 Main Street at the corner with N. 4th street. On this corner sat for many years a hotel of some sort, going by different names as it changed owners. Originally built in 1886 as the Collins Hotel, by 1904 a fruit grower by the name of R.J. Tallman and his wife buy the property and use it as their home. By 1909 it was purchased again and reverts back to hotel use as it changed owners a few more times before the hotel buildings were demolished in the 1920s and property remained vacant until purchased in the 1940s and a new building, the Rhodes Chevy dealership is opened and eventually closed and the shell of the dealership building remains.

Back to Mr. Tallman, shortly after taking control of the old Collins Hotel and hence becoming the Tallman House, Mr. Tallman is mentioned in the newspaper "The Western Fruit Grower" St. Joseph, MO dated February 15, 1904 in which other fruit growers who may or may not have been meeting in Van Buren for a growers convention of sorts at that time, compliments Mr. Tallman for his vast amount of fruit trees and berries (6,000 peach, 1000 cherry and 25 acres of berries) and, here's where the newspaper makes a relevant comment, Mr. Tallman is mentioned as feeding a packed opera house which gave complimentary entertainment presumably for the growers convention (at least a hundred guests).

Where the name Bradley fits in, I'm not quite sure, but I would suspect that maybe before or after taking control of the old hotel in Van Buren, Mr. Tallman takes on a partner?

Furthermore, why have tokens made with the opera house mentioned as if Bradley and Tallman were the owners of the opera? I don't think it was that. I believe the possibility was to promote commerce in a small town (today the pop is only 16,000+) and maybe paying to go to the opera got you a token to use when buying fresh produce or a snack up the street at the corner fruit grower's place? Or vice versa.

Dating of the token as being early 1900s is probably accurate and as Tallman no longer had the property by 1909 it maybe within the 4-5 year window.

As I said a big reach on this one but maybe I'm right.

Neat find!

HH!
-Hunter

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
That token is listed in Robinson's Arkansas Merchant Tokens book with the notation that "The Opera House Saloon operated in 1900." The book also indicates that the reverse side is blank, so that is why you can't read anything on it. My wife (from there) has a book on the history of Ft. Smith - I'll see if I can find anything in it about this one.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You both were helpful It seems Tallman used these tokens in his produce business and there never was an Opera house

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread