Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bro in law has had ALL the luck this year as he found these 2 beauties on Sat. Nice to ID a RARE coin for once as most varieties will be either common or scarce. The CFT. Irish has some great details. Pretty easy to ID as CFT. Very thin.....Georgivis too high on the head as NOT to match any Die of a regal 1775.....and has a "Biblical" or "script" type "X" in REX. The right hand date is only legible under magnification. Only the 5 is visible. Cannot be anything but a 1775. HH Hogge The 2 coins you see in the pic, were rinsed off in a puddle before the pic was taken. This is why they appear slightly cleaner than the rest of the finds.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 401
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 439
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 456
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 9

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GWWJR

Jul 4, 2004
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I'm talking about. Great finds.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know a thing about them, but I like 'em!

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't with him, but know the site. I should have been but had to work. Same spot he found his woods hibernia.(another BEAUTY!). Funny thing is, we were ALL over this site last year and missed these. Hard to explain, but I think our hard deep frost may have had something to do with it.:dontknow: I have to post for him for lack of computer. I also clean the coins and relics up for him. He's found some REALY nice coins this year. Can't believe, like the NJ and now this CFT. came out like they did.

Last edited:

diggingitrtb

Mar 14, 2008
hinsdale mass
Detector(s) used
whites prizem 4
Not only did we miss these coins but I dug at leased 20 holes sat also found were old buttons buckles and other odds n ends

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Nova is sweet..... (I feel like I'm in high school again complimenting someone's car..... Am I dating myself with that comment? :laughing7:). Congrats to your brother in law!

diggingitrtb

Mar 14, 2008
hinsdale mass
Detector(s) used
whites prizem 4
Also when myself n hogge went to this site the brush and prickers were high but the snow had laid it all flat which gave me a chance to hit spots that were not possible in the middle of summer when plants life was at its fullest

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also when myself n hogge went to this site the brush and prickers were high but the snow had laid it all flat which gave me a chance to hit spots that were not possible in the middle of summer when plants life was at its fullest

That's the only good thing about snow! Congrats on the great coins! It's cool to actually see copper color on the counterfeit.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer coins there. Tell him congrats. Now it's your turn bro

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's a copper!!!! Can't say I've seen too many of those on here.

Congrats

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The soil seems to have been more than kind to those coins,minimal corrosion, you can't beat that on dug coins. Always nice to see something different!

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soil seems to have been more than kind to those coins,minimal corrosion, you can't beat that on dug coins. Always nice to see something different!
Im going to post the "directly out of ground" pics I have tomarow. The Nova actually had quite a bit of corrosion but the peroxide cleaned it up nice. (took 3 times and a Q-tip scrub) There actually are some VERY deep pitting in it. Almost holes. The Irish must have some time of alloy, or metal, mixed with the copper, that prevented it from breaking down. It has a very high pitched ringing when dropped.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Im going to post the "directly out of ground" pics I have tomarow. The Nova actually had quite a bit of corrosion but the peroxide cleaned it up nice. (took 3 times and a Q-tip scrub) There actually are some VERY deep pitting in it. Almost holes. The Irish must have some time of alloy, or metal, mixed with the copper, that prevented it from breaking down. It has a very high pitched ringing when dropped.

You know that's something I myself have noticed, I've found a few counterfeits over the years, some, not all, have very unique properties in their chemistry that almost have a high resistance to corrosion that we would normally see on most coins made legitimately. Their makeup is not consistent so they all turn out differently.
Taking a second look at the Nova, I can definitely see that it had issues coming out if the ground, looks good now!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Real nice Coppers your brother in law found Hogge. Now it is your turn to pop some of those bad boys out of the ground:thumbsup:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FINDS !!:thumbsup:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the coppers, I have not found any coppers that compare to though, I'm still waiting for my first U.S. minted colonial copper too.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that's incredible to get such a rare coin! and it's got a lot of nice detail left on it too! awesome hunt

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that's incredible to get such a rare coin! and it's got a lot of nice detail left on it too! awesome hunt
Although it's considered rare, it's not really worth a lot of $. Personally, I've never found one. Thanks CJON.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread