Grass is for cows !!!!

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Headed out yesterday afternoon, with the intention of trying a pasture field, that had in the past been ploughed. Got to the farm, the farmer was in his yard. Explained my plan, and he said, why don't you try that field over there. The field in question looked like it had been seeded. No worries said the farmer, you can detect it until the crop comes up. Got to love that guy. These are the finds, from a three hour session. Like Westfront I had a Neolithic find, a large flint scraper. Other finds included a couple of copper coins, one of George 111. A small medieval lead token. A jeton, someone had gone to the trouble of rolling up. A broken medieval buckle, and buckle plate. Star find though was a nice hammere'd silver short cross coin. The legend is a bit flat in places, but the portrait is nice. Think it's king John 1199-1216, London mint. All in al,l a great little session. Wonder where I will be later this afternoon :laughing7:. Been raining all morning, so it's shopping with the wife till then .

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6358.JPG
    IMG_6358.JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6359.JPG
    IMG_6359.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6360.JPG
    IMG_6360.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 15

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the very crisp short cross! Nice to have a farmer that sees that a bit of digging isn't going to make a difference in the yield down the road. Three hours was productive and worth a return.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Congrats on the very crisp short cross! Nice to have a farmer that sees that a bit of digging isn't going to make a difference in the yield down the road. Three hours was productive and worth a return.
True pepperj, don't think I dug up a single seed.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the hammered coin ! :occasion14: The only hammered from out here is railroaded coins from school yards !

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
That's a pretty little short cross. I think it was a lousy strike, not so much worn. Either way fun to pull a 900 year old coin from the dirt!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hammered is a beauty and good job on the worked flint! Very nice to have a farmer like you have. Some of them are easy to handle! Your weather came over this afternoon. I was at the lower end of the field when the rain hit me. When back at the truck (and my rain gear)i was soaked through so i stopped for today...

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nicely done. That's a beauty of a short cross coin. Best of luck on your next hunt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every farmers different on that front, we had one that didn't like foot prints on unseeded land!

Very nice find, I could do with a boost like that right now!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool portrait, he looks surprised.
What is the purpose of those rolled up coins, I have found them before, at least one anyway.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing as usual. A grog to go with that silver?

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
That hammered is a beauty and good job on the worked flint! Very nice to have a farmer like you have. Some of them are easy to handle! Your weather came over this afternoon. I was at the lower end of the field when the rain hit me. When back at the truck (and my rain gear)i was soaked through so i stopped for today...
Hello Westfront, yes no good getting soaked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread