NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's got to be some kind of coincidence, but not long after I posted some info about the uniform of a soldier in a locket photo on the What Is It forum, I stopped by a sale on my way to the store bought a couple things (new coffee cups for work), and spotted this in a heap of old clothes. I asked about it and the lady said "Just take it". This guy was pretty small, it's a size 37 S! He was a Staff Sergeant and it's got a 3 year service stripe and 3 years of overseas service stripes, plus the "Ruptured Duck" discharge patch. All the original buttons are there in excellent condition, and while looking through the pockets I found some bonuses! 2 5th Army patches, a sterling Expert Riflemans badge, and an Infantry collar disk. No idea if they're original to the uniform, but still cool. All in all a pretty nice score, I don't see these turning up they way they used to.
100_2798.JPG 100_2799.JPG 100_2802.JPG 100_2804.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to save history! Did you get the Vet's name? I am so thankful to have both my WW2 Gramps' uniforms! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly no name, I was hoping maybe I'd find it written inside but it doesn't look like it was. If the 5th Army patches from the pockets are original to this soldier, and I have a feeling they are, he would have served in the Mediterranean campaigns, especially the liberation of Italy. It's a shame there's no way to know who he was.

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife put my old army trench coat (1967 era used when in Korea) in a trash bag for goodwill. Fortunately I went through the back because of her penchant for throwing all my old stuff away. She hates clutter. I still have my army boots also. Cannot remember where my 1st class uniform went, maybe wife #1 threw that away.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice save. I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone who participated in WW2 and it saddens me see how quickly they are becoming forgotten. Many years ago, a guy I know bought a WW2 Brigadier General's uniform with the gold bullion shoulder patches for the measly sum of 20 bucks

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is 2 years old

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is 2 years old

That don't matter, it sparked an interest to someone. Not sure if Ken has the uniform still or not. I would of donated to the WWII Museum in NOLA.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do still have it. I talked to someone at the museum about some of the things I have, but they are more interested in items that have a known history and provenance, and things that are rare, or unusual. The thought of donating it, just to have it end up in a storage room somewhere just didn't sit right with me. It's a shame that there was no name to go with it, I've tracked down some pretty interesting stories from named relics....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread