Shoe Buckle #10, an interesting button(date range help appreciated)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a place that I pounded at the end of last summer. I hit this small colonial area in disc, all metal and from every direction several times. I almost didn't go because I figured there was zero chance of a find. But I wanted to see if the frost moved anything around and also if the nice moist ground would help. I was psyched when I dug a deep colonial button. Then I was really surprised when I dug a couple more. Then I got a super deep signal. Like 14" deep. Dug down to China andulled out a very nice shoe buckle. Thick and solid with a nice arch. Hard to see but all around the inside and outside has a reeder edge (for lack of a better term). I'm amazed that this is my 10th in less than 2 years. Some are complete and others had the guts in the hole but weren't attached. Others are just frames. I love shoe buckles and think they're such a cool and unique relic from the colonial period. I put them all together for a pic. Love to find a silver one some day. I also found what I thought was a blowhole button but no hole. Wondering if anybody knows a date range on these.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 15

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet buckles Ahab! You have some killer ground to dig in up there. What's the lead looking pyramid shaped do hickey?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your keyhole escutcheon, looks to be chippendale late 1700s. Very cool.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a matter of time before a good hit! Button would date the same as the blow hole ones... mid. 1700s.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
We should start calling you Bootstrap. I like the hand engraving(notches), probably my favorite buckel of the ones I've seen you dig. I think you also have some early buttons there are well. Congrats buddy. You're killing it and are just all over those old old sites!!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buttons and sweet buckle frame Abe. I agree, buckles are great to find because they give a site a more personal feel..more so than buttons. That's my feeling. Is that a pewter spoon handle?

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet buckles Ahab! You have some killer ground to dig in up there. What's the lead looking pyramid shaped do hickey?
Thanks Rob. I'm guessing it was prob an old sinker or net weight maybe? I'm not too sure but that's all I can think of

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your keyhole escutcheon, looks to be chippendale late 1700s. Very cool.

Thanks for the info buddy. That would fit well with the sites age

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a matter of time before a good hit! Button would date the same as the blow hole ones... mid. 1700s.

Thanks for the info buddy. Yup I figure if I dig enough targets set the old sites I'll hit another good one eventually. Patience is NOT my strong suit

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Love to see the early stuff. That's a great buckle collection you have going

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We should start calling you Bootstrap. I like the hand engraving(notches), probably my favorite buckel of the ones I've seen you dig. I think you also have some early buttons there are well. Congrats buddy. You're killing it and are just all over those old old sites!!!

Thanks bud. I too really like this buckle frame. It's my second favorite. That second one down in the middle row is my fave. First off it's enormous and it's really thick and solid with a beautiful patina. It's got a bunch of little designs scribed into it. Here's a close up
image.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buttons and sweet buckle frame Abe. I agree, buckles are great to find because they give a site a more personal feel..more so than buttons. That's my feeling. Is that a pewter spoon handle?

Yes that is a nice early pewter handle. This site gave up a nice 1700s monogrammed silver spoon handle

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Love to see the early stuff. That's a great buckle collection you have going

Thanks buddy. They seem to be my "thing"

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds abe!, in the 5th pic is that 3 coppers?

And killer buckle collection by the way!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds abe!, in the 5th pic is that 3 coppers?

And killer buckle collection by the way!

Lol yep 3 chain cents bro 8-). You can't tell me they're not lmao

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible shoe buckle collection abe! Just wondering, what is your large copper count this year including the toasteds, I see you have been finding a lot:thumbsup:.

I'm thinking you found something similar to a blowhole button. Some button makers never put vent hole on them. If I'm correct, first half of 18th Century, if I'm wrong and it's a regular two piece button then just your normal 19th century button.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey whatever, I was gonna say 3 fugios but if you're into them kinda garbage chain cents more power to ya lol:laughing7:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

That's what I tell people about my toasted coppers, for all you know they could be the rarest copper ever made... just corroded beyond recognition.

I try to find a copper every week or so but it's a pretty tough task, pretty awesome that you found three, toasted or not.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you could add another specimen to your ever-growing collection of colonial buckles Abe. Your newest one is obviously a nice heavy shoe buckle, and based on its size I have to say it dates to the mid-to-late 1700s time frame. Hope your next one is a killer 17th century example.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible shoe buckle collection abe! Just wondering, what is your large copper count this year including the toasteds, I see you have been finding a lot:thumbsup:.

I'm thinking you found something similar to a blowhole button. Some button makers never put vent hole on them. If I'm correct, first half of 18th Century, if I'm wrong and it's a regular two piece button then just your normal 19th century button.

I've found 19 early coppers this season. You're right about the 1700s time frame on the button. It fits the site and I actually found my first blowhole at this place

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread