AT Pro Nails 1855 Half Cent at 8"

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1855 half cent. Kinda trashed. Just feels good to be back out there after a long winter. Rang in as a solid 85 for all you AT Pro guys out there. It's about a nickel sized copper. Beautiful coin. Found it where Knox camped while bringing cannons to Washington at Bunker Hill. Obviously this coin was after his time, just a great location though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 18

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I have had a CX Plus for eleven years, but I want a AT Pro. Do you like it? Any drawbacks?

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Half Cent, congratulations! Now lets see some goodies Knox left behind!

Steve

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very impressive depth from that atp!, that thing is a copper magnet!, I dug an LC at almost 10" with mine! killer detail on the half cent, nice work!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find. You see a lot of LCs, but not many halves! Good show.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm very pleased with the AT Pro. I don't think you can beat the dollar value for the versatility you get. The only drawback I would say is the vdi numbers. They're somewhat vague. For example an 81 can be anything from a copper penny to a sitting liberty dime. I think in this area the E Trac shines. Bottle Caps are the bane of the AT Pro, for me anyways. But there's things that I love about the AT Pro. Speed being one of them. In the future I want to get an E Trac, but I don't ever see myself getting rid of the AT Pro. It's definitely worth every penny, in my opinion.

Ps. NOT TRYING TO START THE WHOLE "E TRAC vs AT PRO" debate, I swear!! Lol

Oooh Payload 77, another drawback of the At Pro is that it gets really jumpy around power lines. It's very sensitive to electrical interference.

Last edited:

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto on the bottle caps. Frustrates the heck out of me.

What mode do you use?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Half-Cent still looking for my first here :occasion14: on the great save !!

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Pro Custom Mode, with 1-40 notched out. The iron audio function helps a lot with bottle caps, unless you're in an area with a lot of iron trash, which seems to be typical. Then it's pretty much useless, and you have to dig bottle caps. Beyond frustrating. I missed a Barber Quarter (1909), and a Carson City Seated Liberty Dime (1875), because I was in an area with a lot of Iron trash. My buddy with his E Trac nailed them no problem. I was so pissed. I literally went over the Barber Quarter 3 times.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add the 5x8 coil to the ATP and those little hidden targets seem to expose themselves much better. I also appreciate the light weight of the smaller coil as compared to the stock one.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol.... I agree with all you said . I jumped from the AT to an Etrac this year and im so pleased with my decision . But I do not plan on getting rid of my AT as there is absolutely nothing wrong with that machine and I plan on using it on occasion next year as I really want to get my ears and mind tuned to wat the Etrac is telling me before I begin swapping machines back and forth. Very nice half cent you don't see those come out of the ground very often

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are better machines out there, but I can't afford them. So the ATPro does exactly what I need it to do when I run it full throttle, i.e., Pro custom mode, sensitivity all the way, full iron discrimination. I will let the six gold rings and six silver rings culled from the earth in the last thirty days speak for themselves. Downside, as mentioned before, it burns through the batteries, it hates power lines, and loves to trick you with bottle caps. Dig it all anyway! Sub (the guy with the battle scarred, super glued, electrical taped ATPro) 8-)

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That half cent's a beauty. In the last 2 years I've found more than 50 large cents, 30 colonials, 100 lndians and even 5 2 cent pieces. Still no half cent. Nice find.

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very pleased with the AT Pro. I don't think you can beat the dollar value for the versatility you get. The only drawback I would say is the vdi numbers. They're somewhat vague. For example an 81 can be anything from a copper penny to a sitting liberty dime. I think in this area the E Trac shines. Bottle Caps are the bane of the AT Pro, for me anyways. But there's things that I love about the AT Pro. Speed being one of them. In the future I want to get an E Trac, but I don't ever see myself getting rid of the AT Pro. It's definitely worth every penny, in my opinion.

Oooh Payload 77, another drawback of the At Pro is that it gets really jumpy around power lines. It's very sensitive to electrical interference.

Sounds just like my CX Plus. Power line sensitivity gets fixed on mine but adjusting the depth sensitivity just a smidge. Thanks for the info!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found if you're in Pro mode, test by switching Iron Audio ON if you're unsure of whether or not you've got a rusty bottle cap. It will still have some of the good sound, but with the telltale grunts of iron. After four years I had bottle caps figured out with the Pro. I started this season with a new DEUS, and I'm back to digging bottle caps again haha. I'm starting to get it worked out now though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread