Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a 2000 Sacagawea Dollar today. Never seen one, thought it was fake. IMAG0301.jpg IMAG0302.jpg

Also this St. Christopher charm from Italy IMAG0300.jpg

Upvote 10

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just think, that coin used to have a gold tone wash . I found my first last month and thought it was a weird modern too

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the $1.00 coin. Don't you wish every plug was worth a dollar?

longislanddertfisher

Dec 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have a twenty dollar roll of uncirculated sacagaweas my mother got for me in 2000

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I always have one or two in my pocket. I spend 'em regularly.

I also carry and routinely spend Kennedy half's. It's really funny for me. (I'm a geezer)

There was a college freshman working as a cashier in a grocery store yesterday. My bill was $10.65.

I handed her a $20 a Kennedy half, a dime and a nickel.

She had no idea what the half was. I had to explain it and she kept flipping the half over and over trying to figure it out. Then she didn't know where to put it in the drawer. She was so flustered she screwed up the change. I finally convinced her to just give me a $10 back...

It's entertaining.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rick67!! Some years ago, when I was King of Mardi Gras here in Louisiana, I had the Bank obtain $100 worth of those coins and used them as throws!! People didn't know what they were and would not even pick them up!! I still have $50 of them left!! I hope they are still worth a dollar!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
let me get this straight, you're a detectorist and you'd never seen a Sacajawea dollar....

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a Kennedy half in change a while back, and the young girl (teens) was kind enough to explain to me that it was a "real" US coin. I thanked her for the explanation and showed myself to the door...

Nice finds. Congrats!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always have one or two in my pocket. I spend 'em regularly.

I also carry and routinely spend Kennedy half's. It's really funny for me. (I'm a geezer)

There was a college freshman working as a cashier in a grocery store yesterday. My bill was $10.65.

I handed her a $20 a Kennedy half, a dime and a nickel.

She had no idea what the half was. I had to explain it and she kept flipping the half over and over trying to figure it out. Then she didn't know where to put it in the drawer. She was so flustered she screwed up the change. I finally convinced her to just give me a $10 back...

It's entertaining.

I'll occasionally coin roll hunt and then I'll spend the kennedy halves. It's hilarious how many people look at them and say "what's this?" Usually under 20... which makes sense, but it's still funny! I had one person ask me, "so, what's it worth." I'd JUST finished telling her it was a half dollar... I chuckled and said "a half dollar is worth 50 cents." She just stared and said "oh."

I'm sure it was a face-palm moment. :)

Entertaining is DEFINITELY the right word!

Skippy

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Congrats! Sure beats digging 100 zincs!
Our Canadian friends have the loonies and toonies! Talk about adding up quick!

GIB- you don't even have to hand some of them an odd coin to confuse them. Try handing them a twenty, a one and a dime for a bill of $11.10, the dollar really seams to confuse them, they try to give it back! Lol!

pres72

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Northwest AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some Sac dollars with no date. Any info is really appreciated! Newbie here but I am hooked! I also have several 2000 mints but it is very difficult to see the tail feathers clearly! Any advice?

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is too funny! I'm the youngest member of a local coin club. I love sitting around and listening to the older retired gentlemen tell stories like these. They all seem to be competing to confuse young store employees and have the best confusion coin story!

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a change machine at work for the vending machines. It gives out Sacagawea and Presidential dollars.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a change machine at work for the vending machines. It gives out Sacagawea and Presidential dollars.

I dug my first presidential dollar coin last year. It was my first time seeing them too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread