Victor sewing machine badge...130 years old and in great shape!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
This is one of those finds that have no real worth but still is way cool and will look great in a display.
The history I find researching some of my finds is just about as much fun as finding the stuff, I feel.

Our club hunted an old estate that goes back to the pre civil war era and is historical so we don't get to hunt it often.
First time here I found a beautiful 1864 2 cent coin, second time I spun my wheels too much digging iron, this time I decided to dig just non ferrous targets.
Some trash came up, a modern zincoln also, but a few good targets finally showed themselves.
A harmonica reed, some sort of brass tube thing that says Marie Barker St Louis that I have not identified yet and these two special targets.
Thought it was a lipstick tube at first, it is about the same size and shape, but I doubt they made them out of thick brass like this one is.

Then about 6" deep with a clip that had decades of rust on it so I suspect is pretty old is this Catholic guardian angel visor clip on medallion.
Thick brass and cool.

The best target was this badge that came off of an early sewing machine and that one I did find some history.
Treadle sewing machines were invented around the mid 1800's and several companies started to pop up manufacturing them.
This company started as the Finkle and Lyon sewing machine Co. in 1864 and did well.
They changed their name to the Victor Sewing Machine Co. in 1872 but by 1883 they closed up shop and were gone due to heavy competition.

Considering this thing is definitely between 130-140 years old it is in remarkable shape and is a great find in my book even if it has no real worth.

We are digging history here after all and I believe this qualifies.

Attachments

• guardian.jpg
    guardian.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 89
  • vict.jpg
    vict.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 96
  • vict 2.jpg
    vict 2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 103
  • victor medalion.jpg
    victor medalion.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 5

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if your Victor emblem might have been a needle threader.It looks as though something broke off on the other side of hole, possibly two wires?

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I wonder if your Victor emblem might have been a needle threader.It looks as though something broke off on the other side of hole, possibly two wires?

Hey...could be, never thought of that.
I will research this so thanks!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

A little more research and I nailed it.
Found this thing for sale on E Bay.
Definitely a badge mounted to the machine.
Love solving mysteries on the finds I dig.

Attachments

• victor badge.jpg
    victor badge.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 58
  • victor.jpg
    victor.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 81

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread