A Gun Kinda Day..

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on an early hunt this morning and dug these pieces in the first two hours.. Now I gotta go to work.

IMG_20150518_174616_hdr.jpg IMG_20150521_181413_hdr.jpg IMG_20150521_181545_hdr.jpg IMG_20150521_181702_hdr.jpg IMG-20150518-WA000.jpg

Upvote 17
OP
OP
D

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All! sorry I was M.I.A for a while there... work is really interrupting my fun lately!!! Anyhoo, thanks for taking time to look at the finds, all the items with the exception of the last picture were found within 15 feet of each other and before I left I was getting some iron signals with other stuff mixed in, so I will definitely be heading back to clean up.
I haven't had the opportunity to research anything yet but Im fairly certain the the escutcheon plate is engraved with 22nd of foot regiment, the characters below it are a mystery to me but Im sure with some research i'll be able to find out more.
The last item is kind of interesting, my daughter actually dug that about 500 yards away from the spot I was working, its actually brass and although the picture doesn't show it too well its bent at a fairly acute angle just above the engraved area. I other words it's shaped like a rifle butt plate and I had assumed that that's what it is.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All! sorry I was M.I.A for a while there... work is really interrupting my fun lately!!! Anyhoo, thanks for taking time to look at the finds, all the items with the exception of the last picture were found within 15 feet of each other and before I left I was getting some iron signals with other stuff mixed in, so I will definitely be heading back to clean up.
I haven't had the opportunity to research anything yet but Im fairly certain the the escutcheon plate is engraved with 22nd of foot regiment, the characters below it are a mystery to me but Im sure with some research i'll be able to find out more.
The last item is kind of interesting, my daughter actually dug that about 500 yards away from the spot I was working, its actually brass and although the picture doesn't show it too well its bent at a fairly acute angle just above the engraved area. I other words it's shaped like a rifle butt plate and I had assumed that that's what it is.

22nd Regiment, Company C, Rack 7.

OP
OP
D

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be heading back there in the morning... But until then heres an item that I forgot to post, found it about a hundred yards from the other parts.

IMG_20150523_171140_hdr_edit.jpg IMG_20150523_171109_hdr_edit.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be heading back there in the morning... But until then heres an item that I forgot to post, found it about a hundred yards from the other parts.

View attachment 1165505 View attachment 1165506

Sometimes lead,even just a flattened ball was used to secure a flint in the flint lock hammers jaws. Hammered oblong and a hole made in the center before folding over flint allowed clearance for top jaw screw. Yours,(material ) cleared the screw without needing a piece removed.
Consider though if both ends of the flint were usable and knapped, clearance would be more likely to be an issue.
Leather could be used but risk of it holding a spark however thin the odds,suggests soft metal was preferred.
A flint can torque left or right and if knapped with a too high point on top really can wobble. cock.gif

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.--the brass piece could be a piece of the ornate patch box from an early fowler musket or similar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread