COUNTERFEIT LARGE CENT!....Colonial Buckle, and more.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was able to revisit a site my buddy and I hunted before back in May of 2013. Back then I found a counterfeit seated half dollar here. Apparently this guy was a counterfeiter because today I turned up a counterfeit large cent. (It appears to be an attempt to duplicate a matron head large cent. It's definitely pewter. ) It read up like an indian head cent in the ground. It was about 4 inches deep and reading 11-36, 11-37 on my E-Trac and a few times it read as high as 12-38 but never higher than that. After recovering it I tested it again and it was a consistent 12-37.

008.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG

022.JPG 023.JPG 019.JPG

020.JPG

Dug a nice colonial buckle (actually dug this on my last hunt a week ago but haven't posted it yet). The buckle was about 4-5 inches deep in a large field and read up as a strong 12-45 on the e-trac.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Came across a 12-46 signal. Saw the roundness right there on the surface staring back at me. I was thinking silver but it turned out it was one of those religious pendants made out of that aluminum like metal....not even silver. Definitely a heart breaker.

004.JPG

Also found an interesting Caterpillar watch/keychain fob.

005.JPG 006.JPG 024.JPG

A compilation pic of the finds.

018.JPG

Upvote 14

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the 'OLDER' counterfeits by certain individuals have been known to be highly collectible and fetch some money. Also they make great novelty items and conversation pieces. Piece of history anyway!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Evo. You had me at colonial buckle bro

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EVOULUTION you have a little bit of everything and the buckle ,neat , and my father used to have the caterpillar fob that was attached to his belt with a leather strap brings back memories from the times that we shared when I was a little grasshopper, long time since seen one of them.vanzutphen

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to argue with the detector....so I believe you....on the Counterfeit.
I once bought a rare quarter, I had BIG doubts about, but was busy at the time, so paid the guy, and he was gone, later checked the "suspect" coin with the detector....The scale didn't help, but didn't fool the detector...lesson learnt.

Go with your "gut" if it don't look right, it probably isn't right.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me....

EDIT: You know what ? The buckle is the best find anyway, congrats on that find.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions