🥇 BANNER Rare 1600s Latten Spoons, Georgian Shoe Buckle, 1797 LC, My Best Relics Ever

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a crazy day. I've been making plans to get to an incredibly early site for months now. But it's a very tough place to get to and several factors have to be considered including tides, wind, boat size, and peoples schedules. Today everything lined up with the exception of the wind. It was blowing pretty darned hard but I had my mind made up. The big problem is that you need a fairly small boat to get to this location but you've got to go across mikes of open ocean....very nasty and unpredictable ocean. Small boat and open ocean is a recipe for disaster and that's almost what happened. We left the wharf around 5 am and quickly realized that it was very rough out there. But me being me and having a strong desire to get there we pressed on. The waves suddenly got big and started to break over the bow. The boat was going straight up and slamming down. I thought we were done for....all for some treasure lol. We managed to navigate to an island that was close by and seek shelter. We stayed tucked behind the island for about an hour and a half. Suddenly the sky turned blue and the wind began dying down. I had already given up all hope of getting to my dream site and then suddenly we were able to get back on course. A few miles later and we arrived safely.
This particular spot has been hit with some terrible storms and the trees were payed down everywhere. A crisscrossed and tangled up mess. I almost just left because I saw no way of detecting in that mess. But after the effort to get there I figured we'd give it a shot. It was tough just walking and maybe 8% of the ground was huntable. I quickly found a couple of buttons and a copper coin. Eventually I got to what I thought was a very early homes site. I got a very very deep high tone and eventually got my fingers on an object. I could feel that it was a spoon bowl and was shocked when I pulled it out. An incredible complete 17th century Latten spoon. Likely mid 1600s. I think I've maybe seen one of these dug and it was my good pal Bill D. I was elated and super happy. A few minutes later I got a similar signal and dug another super deep hole. Out came another complete spoon even nicer than the first. Complete and with whati believe is a strawberry or pineapple knop. Amazing!
I unfortunately didn't have much time to hunt by the time I got out there and had to leave soon. On the way out I dug a really cool Georgian shoe buckle. I also found a destroyed matron head and an 1876 Canadian cent in very rough shape. Last night I dug a KG and a nice 1797 LC.
On the drive home I called George(Vino) and told him I was so psyched about the spoons. He didn't sound too impressed lol. So when I got home I texted him some pics and my phone rang instantly. He was blown away at the pics. I also contacted Bill D and he was really happy for me. I love having buddy's to share this stuff with. My gf wasn't too thrilled about 2 dirty old spoons lol.
I know some people won't think much of these spoons but I cant begin to explain how incredibly happy I am to have found these amazing 17th century relics. Behind the tree coin these are my favorite finds ever. Thanks for looking and listening to my rambling guys.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 72
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell you how hard it must be to find a spoon complete!
I've dug a million pieces(well a lot) and only a couple of complete spoons made from pewter, your site is worth the trip!
Super finds!

Yup I'm still pretty shocked that these 350+ year old spoons came out of the ground like that

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Abe, that is a dream hunt for me. I think I might like 17th century bottles, pottery and spoons as much as coins and buttons and those two complete spoons are at the top of my list. You lucky dog to find two complete ones.....sheesh. When are you going back?!!

There's Mass silver out there somewhere buddy. I can feel it

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, 4 pages already.
When we talked today and you told me you found 2 spoons that you real excited about, I was like OKAY????
Then you text me a pic..Wow.
Now i understand.
I dont believe i ever seen them posted..
To find one that old and in one piece is amazing, let alone 2..
That piece of history is BANNER ALL DAY LONG..
As we talked earlier, was not sure if people would know how rare they are to find..
Looks like alot of people do..
Amazing find..
Oh and one more thing.
I THINK WE NEED A BIGGER BOAT!!!! LOL
Hey buddy it's so funny you just wrote that. I've got a video that I took before it got really sketchy where I'm getting tossed all over the place and I spoke those very words myself

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two great recoveries Abe no telling what the site would produce if you could do some clearing. Congrats on the finds from the not so easy hunt, you really deserved to get a few keepers for taking the trip out there.
Thanks Pep. I don't even know how you'd begin to clear that up. I should have taken pics. Just trees stacked on each other and all intertwined.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABE CONGRATS on the AWESOME Spoons, I think you were on Gilligan's Great, Great , Great, Great Grandfather's Island. My Banner vote is in :thumbsup:

Thanks Bub. I appreciate the vote bud. Maybe I'll find Gilligans Great,great,great,great Grandfathers NE Shilling

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeez, bees and seas...be vigilant out there Abe. You'll be searching for that chain cent from 6 feet under if you aren't careful.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coolest spoons I have seen here!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice spoons.
Every time you find banner finds you almost kill yourself, do your 8's then try and kill yourself and you will find another banner find!
Good work bro.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing! So happy you got out there finally and pulled up some great stuff. Sounds like an incredible spot... take a tent and tell your buddy to pick you up in a week next time!!

You're probably spooning your dirty spoons tonight. :laughing7:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally would have to clean them up and eat a bowl of cereal with them just to say I did. My knowledge of such items is extremely limited. But I like to think I am intelligent enough to understand the historic value and rarity of such little gems. Banner worthy with no doubt. A BIG congratulations on such awesome finds.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THOSE ARE AWESOME :notworthy:
GOT MY BANNER VOTE :icon_thumleft:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome historical finds!!!
And, the story of that epic journey just re-enforces what it takes to get the best that the past has to offer................thanks for the inspiration.

My first banner vote............hope that coming from a newbie doesn't diminish the awe (envy :notworthy:) I have.............

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and awesome finds! Looking forward to seeing these on the banner!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story alone was worth the time to read, quite exciting. I understand fully the intoxication of searching for and finding some of the oldest relics in your region. For a year or two I was nearly in a total obsession. The nearest that I could describe it to would be gold fever. Good for you buddy. It is sweet indeed to gaze upon the rare pieces as time goes by, and still feel the fascination and warm glow.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on getting them up on the Banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread