CAM00181.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 164
Upvote 6

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a listing with "image wanted" on tokencatalog.com and a note from somebody saying, "I found a brief (and confusing) mention on Googlebooks from a West Virginia newspaper: "Lemondale Farm Sleep} Reek (Sleep Creek ?), 19 Jan. 1914." It is not listed in the WV Merchant Tokens book.

I'd encourage you to post your pics on tokencatalog - or with your permission I could do it.

Why 3¢? It was likely used as a piecework token - a picker may have gotten paid 3¢ for picking a bushel of whatever was grown there. As they turned in the bushel, they got a token. At the end of the day, they turned in their accumulated tokens for money.

John in the Great 208

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The quote above that is on tokencatalog refers to an obituary in the Frederick, MD News of 19 Jan 1914 for Rev. Martin L. Maysilles who had died at his home, Lemondale Farm, Sleepy Creek, WV. The obituary and a portrait of the good minister can be found at
Rev Martin L. Maysilles (1839 - 1914) - Find A Grave Memorial

He was shown in the 1910 Census as a farmer, so he is quite possibly the man behind the token.

John

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quote above that is on tokencatalog refers to an obituary in the Frederick, MD News of 19 Jan 1914 for Rev. Martin L. Maysilles who had died at his home, Lemondale Farm, Sleepy Creek, WV. The obituary and a portrait of the good minister can be found at

He was shown in the 1910 Census as a farmer, so he is quite possibly the man behind the token.

John

Great detective work, John. Always nice to add some knowledge to an unlisted token! Congrats to the finder on a really neat piece.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a listing with "image wanted" on tokencatalog.com and a note from somebody saying, "I found a brief (and confusing) mention on Googlebooks from a West Virginia newspaper: "Lemondale Farm Sleep} Reek (Sleep Creek ?), 19 Jan. 1914." It is not listed in the WV Merchant Tokens book.

I'd encourage you to post your pics on tokencatalog - or with your permission I could do it.

Why 3¢? It was likely used as a piecework token - a picker may have gotten paid 3¢ for picking a bushel of whatever was grown there. As they turned in the bushel, they got a token. At the end of the day, they turned in their accumulated tokens for money.

John in the Great 208

Interesting thought - if you want to post that to the page go ahead. I saw they were looking for one (with that page being one of only three results I got on Google) but I couldn't figure out how to post it.

John

Thanks for the clarification on this! I saw the newspaper scan but couldn't zoom in enough to read anything. This lends more evidence to the portraits link on Google because I could see something about Lemondale Farm in the results summary but not on the page itself.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love digging tokens

Top Member Reactions