Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much from a new site, but this came from a late 1700s foundation that was either a tavern or a house (inhabited by an alcoholic, based on the number of whiskey bottles he's found in the woods) according to the owner. The place is great and is surrounded by big trees and is in the guy's front yard so it's all mowed. I had high hopes, but I'd say it's been picked over pretty well over the years (although he did tell me that he found a SLQ on the surface of his back yard after they spread the soil they bulldozed up when his house was built 15 years ago).

Anyway, I was happy with the bell because it's the largest one I've dug in one piece. Watch wasn't bad either, but no coins yesterday aside from a dateless (and almost wheatless) wheat penny.

Attachments

• CAM00203.jpg
    CAM00203.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 104
  • CAM00204.jpg
    CAM00204.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 10

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice bell . Something I have yet to dig and really want to find . Took my friends dad out today with his brand new Fisher F2 and got him started into the wonderful obsession that we call a hobby . What do you suppose the first good target he dug was ....... Yup you guessed it a fully intact beautiful Crotal Bell . I was very happy for him and told him Congratulations but part of me was :BangHead: :laughing7: Congrats

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real nice looking Crotal Bell. I love digging those things.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tipnbil what in the world nice crotal and pocket watch,vanzutphen

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice bell . Something I have yet to dig and really want to find . Took my friends dad out today with his brand new Fisher F2 and got him started into the wonderful obsession that we call a hobby . What do you suppose the first good target he dug was ....... Yup you guessed it a fully intact beautiful Crotal Bell . I was very happy for him and told him Congratulations but part of me was :BangHead: :laughing7: Congrats

I enjoy the bells too but don't find them that often. I have a piece of one that had to have been 6" across...would have loved to dig that one intact. There were a ton of cans and jar lids at this site and the bell was right up against the foundation. I passed over it with my detector 3 or 4 times before I finally dug it because I assumed it was just junk. Glad I did!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!

Can't go wrong finding Crotal bells, love finding them myself.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet!!

Can't go wrong finding Crotal bells, love finding them myself.

Is there a particular spot you find them more often? I can't seem to pinpoint a type of location that produces them more than any other.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your bell is more specifically a "petal bell" (which is nicer and I believe older than your average crotal bell), see the flower petals in the design? And I can see the size number on the bottom, but can't make it out. There might be a manufacturer and patent date near the top. They are most often found in areas where there were horses, cows, goats, etc.

Last edited:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Crotal bell:thumbsup: For some reason, I can't even find half of one

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your bell is more specifically a "petal bell" (which is nicer and I believe older than your average crotal bell), see the flower petals in the design? And I can see the size number on the bottom, but can't make it out. There might be a manufacturer and patent date near the top. They are most often found in areas where there were horses, cows, goats, etc.

Thanks for the info! I don't know much about these at all, but the size number is 7. I didn't see anything near the top for manufacturer or date, but I'll take a look again.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There may not be a manufacturer, but some of the petal bells have a name and pat'd date. It's a real nice bell you found there and the bonus is it's whole...a #7 is a big one--may have been used on a cow. Again very nice find,,,congrats!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There may not be a manufacturer, but some of the petal bells have a name and pat'd date. It's a real nice bell you found there and the bonus is it's whole...a #7 is a big one--may have been used on a cow. Again very nice find,,,congrats!

Many of my students always ask me to see some of the stuff I've dug up so I took this in to the school on Friday. One student in particular was absolutely certain that it had come from an elephant because his grandmother had an elephant collar from an old circus that had bells like this on there (I should mention that this student was 17 years old). I'm sure the collar he mentioned could exist and I'm sure there could have been bells like this on there, but he was certain that it was the ONLY thing this could have been used for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread