NJ Colonial copper - Assistance requested

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

Went for an hour hunt this afternoon, and I managed to find this "first" for me.

After researching online, it appears to be a NJ colonial copper (FYI - came up 13:45 on my CTX3030). Anyone have any insight on these?

As a follow up, I'm curious of the value of this. If the value is not tremendous, I'd like to try to clean it up a bit. If anyone has experience on the best way to clean this, please let me know. I'd really like to be able to determine the date!

Thanks!

Kevin

20150529_204340.jpg 20150529_204349.jpg

Upvote 11

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!!
As far as value. Not much in that condition.
And cleaning, I would not do anything to that..
You will lose what you see now..
Congrats and hope to see alot more good finds from you.
George

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not touch that coin. As said above you'll probably loose what you see Kevin. Congrats BTW. That's a sweet coin and on my list!!

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don of south Jersey is the man on these type of coins! Don't clean and wait for Don to chime in! HH

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Kevin!

Yes, it's not worth cleaning that one at all. You will lose the green patina and probably any detail that is left. There is a chemical called Verdi-Care that I would put on that coin to seal it a bit, that's all. I have some here is you wanna swing by. Don in SJ is keeping some sort of database for NJ coppers. Congrats on the find! I have not found a NJ in 15 years....I did find a nice CT copper though a couple years ago.

Regards, Erik

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup that's one that's only showing detail to due to the green patina allowing you to see the contrast. If you remove the green it goes away. Trust me I've done it many times. Very cool find. I love the state coppers

OP
OP
N

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice, all! So, I was doing some research on this. Is it true that there were only 3 dates for these coins (1786-1788), but there are quite a few varieties?

Pretty interesting that it rang up 13:45 on my CTX. Just goes to show that you never know what you'll dig up. i thought it was a quarter.... :)

Kevin

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first with Vino, Ahab got all green eyed because I found my state (NJ) before he found a state coin. Then he had to go and find that beautiful tree silver. Ask him, he usually just starts posting pix of his spainish, lol

Great find, being from Jersey makes it that much better, yeh quarters sometimes turn out to be coppers, heck I had a penny signal a few times turn out to be old coppers and a Large Copper.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Love to see those state coppers found. So often they are so toasted you can't get an ID on them... so to know what you have is a major plus. :)

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Don in SJ keeps a census of jersey coppers and he knows all the different types. Try private message him. And yeah as far as cleaning that one you will destroy what you can see if you try...it's delaminating. Put it in a 2x2 and show it off. Love jersey coppers.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup that's one that's only showing detail to due to the green patina allowing you to see the contrast. If you remove the green it goes away. Trust me I've done it many times. Very cool find. I love the state coppers

YEP!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread