First time out - Silver!

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Hi, everyone!
I'm a newbie - this is my first post.
I'm in my late 40's and have ALWAYS dreamed of treasure hunting. I got my degree in Anthropology just 8 years ago due to my life-long interest (obsession?) with archaeology.
Now that I live in central Florida, I'm pretty sure that beach hunting 8) is going to be my hobby of choice (though there are some pretty wonderful old sites to be dug inland, too).
On my first time out, within 30 minutes, I found a 1945 mercury dime! :o I was hunting at New Smyrna Beach - an area south of Daytona that has taken many, many hard hits during this past mammoth huricane season and beyond. I can see myself spending a lot of time in that area; it's about 1 and 1/2 hours from my home.
I'm brand new, but thanks to info from this website I've learned a lot about this sport. I'm getting much better already at setting my detector properly, how to ferret out the best signals and how to pinpoint my finds. Initially I was pulling up a WHOLE LOT of iron from the beach - but that's a thing of the past now. (Now that I've had at least 4 whole excursions under my belt!)
Yesterday, I went back to New Smyrna. It was overcast and breezy - felt more like a New England beach day than one in Florida. I was out about an hour - not finding anything other than a rather new penny... when a storm blew in! I was about 1/4 mile down from any available exit, so I just protected my electronics, and trudged up the sand toward my car. Any you know what? With just a single new-found penny in my pocket, sand in my shoes and my clothes drenched to the skin - I was happy because I had just spent my afternoon metal detecting! Jeez... I think I'm hooked.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME SaintSea;? You Think Your Hooked HUH ? We Know you are.? :)? ? ? ?This Hobby Has So Much to offer, I'm personally supprised when I find Someone that has time for anything else.? ? ? ? ?Again Welcome, And Looking Forward to Future Posts on your Finds & Expierences ; Happy Hunting ; jeff

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004
What other hobby could one have where we drive for miles on end, then walk in the rain for hours with shoes full of sand in the bitter cold and when we find a penny, we're happy as a clam!!!! ;D Congradulations on the silver... You live in a great place to have the TH bug!! Welcome to the best MD site on the web and keep us informed of your finds. We love pictures!

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Welcome to the hobby SaintSea,
I would say that you are definitely "hooked" on this hobby. As you probably know, it is a great way to relax and forget the cares of the world for a short time. No matter how long you hunt, you always look forward to the next target. The next target could be the "big one".
Again, welcome and keep us posted.
BRD (in Texas).

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the degree and on the penny.
May your detector pass over many more coins. ;)

D

Darod

Welcome :)

Finding that dime on your first time out is gonna cost you big time,........hours and hours of it :)

Great find on your first time out. I live in Central Florida as well, in Melbourne. I'm a bit closer to the beach than you,....it sounds like your in Orlando or inland a bit farther. Good luck on the beach, i intend to do some serious beach hunting this year as well as hunting some old homesite in my area. I've just got to work up the nerve to ask permission now :-\ :)

Nice to see you found us. Keep us posted on your finds this year.

Rod

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Welcome to the forum saintsea, great to have another Floridian!(I'm from Tampa) addiction it is, there is no cure, just this support group!(as I've said before!) 8)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Great times are in store for you SaintSea. It is a very real addiction, just like this Forum. Welcome! Please don't be offended by numerous references about Archies. They certainly aren,t being directed toward any fellow detectorist. We all just have to have something to gripe about occasionally. Keep us posted on your finds. Espically when you hit a BIG one. Spotz

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Welcome Saitsea to the Few, the Proud that are willing to brave the elements and find those few bits and pieces that others have left behind for us to rediscover. Great find and don't give up.
49er

bootyhunter

Feb 3, 2005
Welcome SaintSea, I think now that you found that silver dime ,, Its only just begun, GoodLuck,

BootyHunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread