1897 Indian Head and other farm finds (9 pics)

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was up in Maine hunting on one of my mother-in-law(ish)'s properties. She has a wonderful (for me) habit of buying up acreage with old homes on it. Works for me!

In the short time I was up there this weekend, Friday pm until early Sunday am, I was a able to squeeze in a short hunt around and old building.

The only coin found was the 1897 Indian Head. I love ANY coin I can find from the 1800s! I am not sure if it will come through on the pictures, but the green patina on it is very similar to the green on highway signs. It has a lovey obverse but the reverse is absolute toast.

2 harmonica reeds

1 gorgeous flat button with the eye still attached. It is larger than the other ones I have found

I *think* the white thing is from a horse bridle

A bullet shaped lipstick tube. Stamped "Northam Warren New York". Searching google and treasurenet, I would date this somewhere in the 1930s-1950s. I'll have to look more, or if anyone knows anything, feel free to chime in! It still has the lipstick in it!

Various horse stuff.

I'm not sure how whoever owned whatever Briggs and Stratton machine the keys belong to fueled it! I have both the gas cap keys, found a few inches apart.

I know there is more up there to find. My search acreage keeps growing so I am going to do my darndest to get up to Maine as often as possible this summer.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting all. Enjoy the day!

-Jay

farm10.jpg farm9.jpg farm8.jpg farm7.jpg farm6.jpg farm5.jpg farm4.jpg farm2.jpg farm1.jpg

Upvote 12

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That middle pic is a bridle, I found one identical and someone here told me what it was:thumbsup: Indians are always cool,no matter what! Agree with you on the age of coins! That's a great flat button:headbang: it's got some serious age to it. There may be large cents in the area.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TAM, IS THAT A DANDY BUTTON IN YOUR HAND ,AND FOR THE REST OF THE OTHER RELCS YOU FOUND ,YOU WHERE DOING SOME DIGGING,I HAVE TO SAY MAN.VANZUTPHEN

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That middle pic is a bridle, I found one identical and someone here told me what it was:thumbsup: Indians are always cool,no matter what! Agree with you on the age of coins! That's a great flat button:headbang: it's got some serious age to it. There may be large cents in the area.

I'm hoping for more than large cents, but I would certainly not mind those either. The cellar of the home is a dirt floor. It's going to take a little bit of construction to get into the building as my brother-in-law(ish) boarded everything up. The barn has mostly fallen. There is iron EVERYWHERE. Thankfully, I was rocking the 5x8 for this site. What a great coil.

Thank you for the confirmation about the bridle. I seemed to have found everything but the horse.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TAM, IS THAT A DANDY BUTTON IN YOUR HAND ,AND FOR THE REST OF THE OTHER RELCS YOU FOUND ,YOU WHERE DOING SOME DIGGING,I HAVE TO SAY MAN.VANZUTPHEN

Huh. I hadn't really thought about it being a dandy button. It certainly is very large and has more detail than most of the buttons I find. Time to do some research!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks by the finds you made that the site is pretty old, id say hit that sucker again and hopefully pull a LC or two!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres my damn gas cap keys... arg.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks by the finds you made that the site is pretty old, id say hit that sucker again and hopefully pull a LC or two!!

I am already anxious to get back up there. I work Friday and Sundays so I have to do a lot of switching to get long weekends off, usually involving a monetary bribe to my co-workers, but it is worth it.

I am looking forward to attacking the surrounding fields with my new NEL Attack 15" coil as well. It is a site with a lot of potential, to be sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread