What a HUNT!! Three Firsts and Two of Them Are GOLD...........

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I left work today and it had just stopped raining. I knew that wherever I went it would be a muddy mess and it certainly was. Of course, we all know how those deep targets show up real nice in the mud and today was no exception.

I went to the first spot I hunted the day I got into this hobby just about one year ago (by 3 days); an old, abandoned, overgrown sports field. I started swinging and digging everything. Of course it's filled with trash.

I dug a few pop tops and a couple of nickels and then I got another hit that could have been more trash but instead turned out to be this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 001.JPG

It's my first High School ring. It's from Wichita East High School, Class of 1970. Yes it's 10K GOLD with blue Zircon and yes there IS a name engraved inside. As soon as I post this thread I'm going to try and find the owner or family members. This is the first time I've ever found anything I can return to it's rightful owner. It's also ring # 25; another milestone.

As pretty as it is I immediately decided to do the right thing. Then I dug this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 002.JPG

It's another first for me; a crucifix. It's junk metal but still a first. Looks like it came from an old rosary. I almost felt like somebody up there was happy I decided to return the ring when I dug that one.

The next thing I know I got another solid 51 and dug this:

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 003.JPG

My first GOLD necklace, 14K, Figaro Chain (nickel for reference). I REALLY felt that somebody up there was definitely smilin' on me. When I dug the hole I saw one tiny link and said to myself, "No freakin' WAY". When I pulled it out it just kept comin' and I said "FREAKIN' WAY"!!! (yes, out loud) I knew it was real as soon as I held it in my hand. It's quite heavy.

I poured water over it and the mud and dirt just melted away, revealing that beautiful gold, from the heart of a massive, long dead star to right under my coil. Freakin' amazing.

Then I dug a few more coins and a lead whatsit, then decided to call it quits because I was soaking wet. The entire hunt was maybe 30-40 minutes including the time it took me to walk to and from the place. It was a sloppy muddy mess and all of my stuff (and me) got filthy, but oh what a hunt!!

3 Firsts 2 of Them GOLD June 18 2015 004.JPG

That may be the nicest quick haul I think I've ever had, my first gold of the year and a twofer at that. I LOVE days like this.

Now to find out who needs to get that ring back.
Thanks for lookin' & HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 42

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is karma for sure, LOL, congrats and I hope you find the owner!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G424! Super hunt, congratulations on the sweet gold finds. Those items were also on my list and I found them (separately) earlier this year. Maybe this will be the year of "firsts" for all of us T-Netters! Best of luck on the ring return, I am still trying to get the one I found last month back to its owner, not having much luck. Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G424! Super hunt, congratulations on the sweet gold finds. Those items were also on my list and I found them (separately) earlier this year. Maybe this will be the year of "firsts" for all of us T-Netters! Best of luck on the ring return, I am still trying to get the one I found last month back to its owner, not having much luck. Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

I hope it;s a great year of "firsts" for everybody here.

Have you tried contacting the school or the alumni association??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*****UPDATE*******

I just spoke by phone with the grandson of the man who lost the HS ring and expect to be hearing from him any time. I got his work number from his Linkedin page and HE answered the phone!!
If all goes as planned I should be shipping it out via UPS on Monday.

This is a GREAT feeling. I'm sure it would be great to keep it or sell it for a few hundred bucks but the money would be quickly spent and soon forgotten.
A meaningful deed lasts forever.

When the guy gets this back he's just not going to believe it came back to him so unexpectedly and out of the blue. What are the odds?? I truly cannot wait.

This is another first as a result of this short little hunt; returning an heirloom to it's rightful owner.

Also, the internet is a fantastic resource for this kind of thing. When that ring was lost there was no way to identify and track someone down in less than 24 hours like this.
It's truly amazing.

How can anyone not LOVE this hobby?? It just keeps paying you back in so many ways.

Now off to the next hunt.

Last edited:

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure the owner will be very grateful. I lost mine from that same year, 1970 and I know the field I lost it in. I could never find it when I went back to look and when I returned home and had discovered Metal Detectors 30 years ago, the field had been asphalted into a parking lot, which it remains to this day. I think about that ring everytime I ride by there. I'd love to have it back - good choice to return it, and good luck! HH
I believe returning it will bring you a lot more than the cost of that ring!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure the owner will be very grateful. I lost mine from that same year, 1970 and I know the field I lost it in. I could never find it when I went back to look and when I returned home and had discovered Metal Detectors 30 years ago, the field had been asphalted into a parking lot, which it remains to this day. I think about that ring everytime I ride by there. I'd love to have it back - good choice to return it, and good luck! HH
I believe returning it will bring you a lot more than the cost of that ring!

Thank you. I agree and I'm really sorry about your ring.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been quite a feeling revealing that solid gold chain from the ground!
That's what this hobby's all about! :treasurechest::notworthy:

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Must have been quite a feeling revealing that solid gold chain from the ground!
That's what this hobby's all about! :treasurechest::notworthy:

Yes it was and yes it is.

I don't dig gold often but when I do, I always remember that this is what this hobby is all about.

But seriously, we dig hundreds and thousands of holes and once in a while we hit on something really really sweet. It makes diggin' all of the trash and those damnable zincoln's worthwhile.

Doesn't hurt the addiction side of the hobby either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still haven't heard back from anyone on the ring. I just sent the grandson a message via Facebook explaining that I'm legit (cost me a buck to go directly to his inbox so he sees it).

I'm thinking that maybe the guy may be thinking I'm some kind of scammer fishing for info or something (or a nut). I gave a long, detailed explanation in my message to him and I'm sure that when he reads it his suspicions will be alleviated. He now has my work # and lots of other info.

It's a darn shame you can't even do a good deed anymore without suspicion.
I'll update the progress of this adventure as it unfolds and we shall see what happens.

*****UPDATE******

I just found the actual guy who lost the ring's home phone number and left a long detailed message as well. These people may think I'm crazy but I'm determined to get this ring back to this guy.

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The whole story is great as are your finds and generosity. BTW, I think your lead what zit is a modern shotgun slug.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The whole story is great as are your finds and generosity. BTW, I think your lead what zit is a modern shotgun slug.

Thanks for the ID.

*********UPDATE*******

Still not a peep from the family. I can't imagine anyone not wanting their class ring back.

Then again, I threw away my gold wedding band on a railroad track so you never know.

Last edited:

metalfun

Jun 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE FINDS!!! I have found a necklace and 2 or 3 class rings but never a crucifix.But I will.HH

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just found the actual guy who lost the ring's home phone number and left a long detailed message as well. These people may think I'm crazy but I'm determined to get this ring back to this guy.

great job!

Their 45th reunion was in april. Wouldn't it have been nice if they were having it in JulY?

East High School - Alumni Home Group Pages

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great job!

Their 45th reunion was in april. Wouldn't it have been nice if they were having it in JulY?

East High School - Alumni Home Group Pages

Yeah I saw that the night I found it. I actually posted the ring on their lost ring page before I located the guy. July would have been perfect.

I still haven't heard from him though. It's kinda' strange.
Oh well, we shall see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*******Yet another Update********

I still haven't heard anything from these people. I sent another message but still no reply whatsoever. I'm certain I have the right family because the grandson confirmed the man's age and the Wichita connection. The name is so uncommon it HAS TO be him.

This is getting curioser and curioser.

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Looking forward to reading and update on the class ring. Cheers to mud!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See Karma is great the necklace is worth more than the ring and there's nothing like a rjng return it's a great feeling!! Either way great haul!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See Karma is great the necklace is worth more than the ring and there's nothing like a rjng return it's a great feeling!! Either way great haul!

Thanks.

I'm still trying to return the ring but I'm getting nowhere fast.
I have no clue why neither this guy or his grandson won't contact me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread